David Miles Memorial

View previous topic View next topic Go down

David Miles Memorial

Post  Wandering on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:42 am

Memorial for Merthyr FC steward to be unveiled
Merthyr Express

A MEMORIAL will be unveiled at Merthyr Town FC on Saturday to commemorate late club steward David Miles. Merthyr man David Miles passed away last January at the age of 90, having supported Merthyr Football Club in a variety of ways. He was involved from its formation in 1945, and continued to support the new Merthyr Town while playing at Taffs well last season.

On Saturday, councillor Paul Brown will unveil a memorial in his memory before Merthyr’s home match against Sherborne Town. The stand at the Walk end of the ground will be named the David Miles stand.

Supporters trust secretary John Strand told the Express about David’s commitment to the club. He said: “In the early years Dave and his wife Marie, who will be in attendance on Saturday with Dave’s daughter Carol, ran the tea chalet. He also spent a period of time as unpaid steward of the Jubilee club, Merthyr’s clubhouse. David went on to serve as a member of the board from 1973 to 1986 and was the chairman of the club for part of that time. The club owes its survival to the work carried out by people like David, and no-one gave more time, commitment or loyalty to the club,” John continued. “He raised many thousands of pounds for the club, and even at the age of 90 he continued to sell Soccalot tickets for the club.”

On Saturday, David’s family will be present along with former co-directors and great friends Mansell Williams and Terry Collins, with whom he is pictured here. Also attending are club patron Lord Ted Rowlands, club president Lyn Mittel (Owen Money) and leader of Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council Jeff Edwards, along with prominent club sponsors and local councillors.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Re: David Miles Memorial

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:57 am

And apart from the Western League results and league table that's the total of the coverage of the Martyrs in this week's paper. No match report, news or preview.

Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:04 pm

So much for the assurances given about Merthyr Town FC coverage.
And in the rugby section, there was comment on the Wales World Cup game! Is that relevant to the weekly newspapers?
I know that match reports were submitted on Merthyr Tydfil Veterans (with photographs) and Troedyrhiw FC of the South Wales Amateur League but nothing used. Nothing on Treharris FC all season or lots of other clubs throughout the Valleys!
The newspaper situation is simply getting worse!
Check the newsagents and see the amount of copies of the Express left there on a Monday, which will be sent back.
I think more complaints need to be sent to Mr Alan Edmunds, Managing Editor, Media Wales, 6, Park Street, Cardiff, or why not to Sly Bailey (who has probably never heard of Merthyr Tydfil) who is the chief executive of Trinity Mirror?
Nil publicity in the local newspaper on the local foorball club is simply a disgrace. Don't moan, get writing!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Having met two editors in Cardiff, I know that in principle they are happy to print what we give them. I suspect that due to a variety of circumstances we gave them little this week.

It is unlikely that reporters will be chasing us for information very often, so we will have to find ways of providing information and getting it on the right desk by Monday morning.

We will continue to endeavour to find a way to do this and hope that coverage improves.

At least the Express gave us good coverage for the events on Saturday coming. That was sent to the Merthyr Office. Unfortunately sport is handled entirely by the Cardiff Office, so it is not so easy to find out exactly who is responsible for chosing what goes in the paper.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Troedyrhiw FC and Merthyr Tydfil Veterans reports were emailed on Sunday night but not a mention!
It would have been something if a report had been submitted on the Bishop Sutton v Merthyr Town game although, of course, not the same as the Wales on Sunday, Western Mail and Echo! A report is always supplied to these newspapers so why not to the Express!!
And this week, two players left the club which could have resulted in a report on speculating if new players are on the way! I am sure Shep would have commented some way or other!
Although judging by the lack of Merthyr borough news throiughout the paper this week, a further fall in circulation is inevitable which will deter advertisers. So I think the paper's days as a viable commodity are numbered!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  John Morgan on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Great to see that cub has has paid Dai Miles this tribute hopefully his name will continue to be link to the club he served with great passion. The only shame is that this post was hi-jacked to complain about the lack of news coverage the club gets in the Express rather that honour Dai's memory.

John Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Sorry - it was me who started that.

Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Sorry. And I added to it.
But I think the club's gesture is worthy. I had many dealings with Dave over many years, in his various capacities with the football club!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Suspect from the little I knew of the gentleman, he’d probably consider it a fitting epitaph.

Great to see the club honouring a true fan and stalwart in such a way. Well done.

And my condolences to the family.

Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:25 am

a thoroughly well deserved epitaph,he achieved so much for our club it will be nice to see his family at the ground today.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Dave Miles

Post  jeffh on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:44 am

If he could be there he would be doing his rounds selling socco lotto tickets. Dave was the finest supporter we will ever see, a great character

jeffh

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:01 am

could,nt agree more jeff.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:52 pm

Good to see the prominent sign proclaiming the name of the stand.

Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:22 am

A very big thank you to our guests who turned up to honour David Miles. David's family and friends were very encouraged to see so many people who have supported the club over the years come along to see the Mayor, Councillor Paul Brown, and the Mayoress formerly name the new David Miles Stand. It was good to see visitors such as Ian Docherty, Chris Holvey, Owen Money, Lord Ted Rowlands, Councillor Jeff Edwards, Leader of MTCBC and Howard King.

A very big thank you to those who work in the background to make the event a success.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top