MERTHYR EXPRESS

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MERTHYR EXPRESS

Post  scamp on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:28 pm

great coverage in the merthyr express except for one thing.Where is our league table;They have every league table of all the minor clubs in s wales except the one that matters to merthyr our toolstation premier division.I suspect it is a copy of what was printed in the wales on sunday.Perhaps the trust can point this out to them in due course

scamp

Back to top Go down

Re: MERTHYR EXPRESS

Post  Tim Drummond on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:56 am

All the reports on Merthyr Town FC in this week's Merthyr Express were submitted.
If you read the last posting under Non-League Day, you will read that from next week, the sport for the Merthyr Express and the other Valleys weeklies will be run from Cardiff.
There will be no sports staff in Merthyr to point out anything to. And there will be just ONE news reporter at Merthyr.
Any Merthyr sport will be included in one big supplement covering all the South-East Wales area. This will obviously mean poorer coverage and I doubt that there will be a report of Tuesday night matches in that week's paper.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 pm

I must admit that i had not read your article on non league day.I find it quite alarming at what they are doing .Like you say it could have an adverse affect on our publicity and we need to address this in other ways if possible.I have bought the express all my life purely to read local news and particularly about local sport in the borough.How they expect us to buy this paper to read about what is happening in the other valleys is beyond a joke

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:34 pm

No doubt whatever the changes to the Merthyr Express it will be presented to the readers as an 'improvement'.

Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:03 am

As was forecast, a big deterioration in local sports coverage in the Merthyr Express this week, not least of the Martyrs. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but to go with it we could do with a bit more than a couple of sentences from Garry Shephard, a recital of the scorers against Caerau and a bare mention of the Longwell Green result.

I noticed also in the main part of the paper there were several pages with items that were nothing to do with the Merthyr borough.

Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:11 am

Well, I did warn here recently about the Merthyr Express sports coverage. And we can see from this week's newspaper what has happened -a 16 page pull-out covering sport for the entire circulation area of the weekly papers, far fewer pages than the combined total of the Merthyr Express, Rhymney Valley Express, Gwent Gazette, Cynon Valley Leader, Pontypridd Observer, and Rhondda Leader and Glamorgan Gazette.
Merthyr Town FC coverage just brief mention of the two weekend games, no news of the club and no news of who Merthyr play on Saturday.In fact, just three pages for football.
And the sports supplement is dated WEDNESDAY because most of the papers, other than Merthyr Express (Wed evening) print early Wednesday morning. So any Merthyr matches played on a Tuesday will not get a mention that week.
So, it looks like any further Merthyr Town FC coverage will be very basic.
The paper is reduced to 56 pages and with just two pages of Community News instead of three as usual. The price is still 72p.
To protest, write to Mr Alan Edmunds, managing editor, at Media Wales, Park Street, Cardiff.
The paper has just ONE reporter covering Merthyr and there is no photographer. The staff named on page 2 is for the entire set of weekly papers in the Valleys.
Circulation will fall further and the papers could fold altogether, I feel. Nothing will happen but if lots of people complain, at least YOUR voice will be heard.
This move will badly hit Merthyr Town FC. I did issue a warning! Ironically, I suppose anyone who just reads the Express main stories on line have contributed to the situation because sales have fallen alarmingly in recent years.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:06 am

i have bought my last one,absolute crap,i couldnt care less about the cambrian&clydach match and a lot of the others reported on.they should rename the paper the valley,s advertiser.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:11 am

Yes, and Cambrian and Clydach, Porth and Ton Pentre who are Welsh League clubs had more coverage than Merthyr.
If Merthyr fans care, perhaps we should organise a demo outside the offiices in Glebeland Street and inform BBC Wales and ITV Wales.
Or even write to Sly Bailey, Chief Executive of Trinity Mirror at London who has a nice little wage, thank you!!!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:22 am

The coverage - or non coverage - of The Mighty Martyrs in this week's Distress is appalling. Whereas we used to have fairly full coverage of all games played up to the Tuesday prior to publication there was nothing, there was no Martyr's News giving details of Soccalot and forthcoming fixtures. The Cam had more coverage than us and even though me & Wayne go over there to watch them when Merthyr aren't playing I don't particularly want to read about them in my local paper - i.e. a paper covering the Merthyr Valley not a conglomeration of news from other (lesser) valleys.

There's better covearge of us in the Echo and the Western Mail and no doubt that'll be their excuse for downgrading the coverage in the Express. How do we hope to attract the floating fan when there's nothing in the local written media to encourage them to come along. Usually Wandering copies & pastes the Merthyr Express match previews on this forum - obviously he couldn't today as there was nothing to copy!

I will certainly be writing to Trinity Mirror to complain and I'll not buy this rag again until the situation has been reversed.

Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 am

I think we should thank Phil Howells who, I understand, provided previews of Merthyr's next game for the Merthyr Express last season and this season, without payment.
Now it seems there will be no sports NEWS in the Express, just match reports telling us what we already knew! The writing is on the wall!!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:22 pm

The club has to explore other means of creating publicity for the club whether it is putting out more posters for forthcoming matches distributing leaflets of our soccer lot results making the public more aware of our forum and official website for news perhaps a weekly newsletter given out on match days which includes league table soccerlot results for previous weeks 50/50 draw results etc .Perhaps the club can meet the editor with the view of having a page devoted to the club.The positive side of this would be we have a wider catchment area reading about our club

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:05 pm

scamp wrote:The club has to explore other means of creating publicity for the club whether it is putting out more posters for forthcoming matches distributing leaflets of our soccer lot results making the public more aware of our forum and official website for news perhaps a weekly newsletter given out on match days which includes league table soccerlot results for previous weeks 50/50 draw results etc .Perhaps the club can meet the editor with the view of having a page devoted to the club.The positive side of this would be we have a wider catchment area reading about our club

I expect James Baylis will be on the case.

Regarding a weekly newsletter, remember such a thing would cost money to produce and manpower to distribute. And how and where would it be given out?

Don't forget (and I would say this, wouildn't I?) something similar is already available at the ground on match days - it's called the Match Programme! OK, it costs £1.50 and is not 'given' out, but you do get lots of good reading in it as well as the league tables and more club stats than you ever get in the newspapers. I haven't so far included Soccalot results in it, but if they're not going to be in the Express I probably should do in future. It also seems a good idea to at least say how much the 50/50 draw prize money was at the previous game, so I'll certainly try and do that in future whatever else happens.

That's a good point about the changes to the Express meaning we have a wider catchment area.

Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Wider catchment area? doubt if you'll see any significant increase in the attendance, if any at all.

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Merthyr Express

Post  meurid p on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:13 pm

I have bought my last and all supporters should do the same

meurid p

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:35 pm

If Scamp means the club should meet the editor of the Merthyr Express, this would be difficult as the paper does not have an editor.
There is one news reporter working in Merthyr, no sports reporter, no photographer.
There is an editor in chief who works in Cardiff.
The page 2 list of Reporters is misleading as the six represent the total of reporters for all the weekly papers.
All the others were made redundant last week.
If Merthyr Town had a page devoted to themselves, other clubs would want the same and that is not going to happen.
A newsletter would cost the club and how many copies would be printed and where would they be delivered to? And how many would bother to read them?
The hard-core fans keep in touch with events at the club but to try and reach the other possible fans is now almost impossible.
And I have never seen any evidence that posters advertising matches bring in any fans!
There is already a number of supporters from outside the borough but there is little chance of luring
more in any more than we can expect large numbers from Merthyr to travel to watch Porth, Pontypridd, Tredegar, Aberaman, Llwydcoed, Barry Town, Aberbargoed Buds, Ton Pentre etc.
Al club would like to have bigger crowds but we already have the best in the W League.
You can only expect so much!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top