When the Ships are Down

Go down

When the Ships are Down

Post  Boz1964 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:04 pm

When the Ships are down.

For the second time this week, the footballing community of Merthyr Town were treated to a home game,  this time against Hampshire outfit Gosport Borough.

With Cardiff City playing at home in the Premiership and hoping to 'carry some goals to Newcastle', I didn't expect to see a bumper crowd, and with a three hour journey for the Hampshire outfit- there was unlikely to be a massive away following to boost the attendance figures.

Gosport Borough were reported to be in a similar 'boat' to Merthyr,  in terms of financial problems last season, so it was pleasing to learn of Gosport's survival and that the only 'winding up order' they would face this season would be on the pitch from Kerry Morgan & Co.

With Merthyr Town in their traditional home colours of black n white and Gosport dressed in blue ( but not in the Navy) it was guaranteed to be a colourful encounter with the away team hoping to return to Port with three precious points and a Jolly Roger.

It didn't take Town long to take the 'wind out of the Gosport sails' with Merthyr's First Man Adam turning over a new 'leaf' and becoming the Creator for the Messenger of the Gods,
wing- sandalled Corey Jenkins to earn his 'Mercury' Prize with the opening goal of the game with a header from close range.

The curling ball from Adam was so pinpoint accurate, that all Corey had to do was add an S to become Scorey.

With Midshipman Keiran Lewis running the show, it took less than six minutes for Merthyr to double their lead, thanks to Corey Jenkins moving 'full steam ahead' at a rate of 'knots' on the 'Starboard' side and Kerry Morgan crossing from the 'Plimsoll Line' and setting up marksman  Ian Traylor for his fourth goal in three games.

Worse was to follow for the Hampshire Outfit as on 20 minutes, as 'Pop-Up Pirate'
Kerry Morgan found himself unmarked in the penalty box and headed the ball across the Gosport Keeper and into the far corner of the goal.

It was a miracle leap not just for the score, but that on Tuesday Night, the skilful winger appeared to limp off the field against Swindon Supermarine with an extra ankle whilst covered in more ice than the Captain of the Titanic.

With Merthyr 3-0 up it looked an odds on HMS Victory.

As the delivery for all three strikes was first class- just like postman and former Martyr
Scott Tancock.

But Gosport had other plans and raised themselves out of their 'doldrums' with a breakaway goal from Tony Lee- a tall lean goal poacher- known locally as Gary Spinnaker.

Suddenly Gosport were transformed into Go Sport and with their number 3 turning playmaker, the battle of 'Medway' ensued, turning  the 'engine room' into a Maelstrom of boots.

But despite taking several blows in the shin-kicking contest, the Away Team played through the pain barrier and refused to go down- mainly in fear of being admitted to Gosport War Memorial Hospital on their return.

The interval came with Merthyr ahead 3-1 but a little nervy of conceding again and inviting a Slough-style comeback from Borough.

But the crowd needn't have worried.

As the second half started with Adam Davies, Kerry Morgan and and Keiran Lewis spraying passes for the ever dangerous Ian Traylor and the influential Tom Meechan to run onto.

The fourth goal came on 69 minutes after referee Shepphard allowed a good advantage to be played, after Traylor was the subject of an attempted assassination attempt on the synthetic grassy knoll.

The goal-machine rarely goes down and stays down but he had no option, as he was left in a heap looking like Alex Brooker clutching the remains of his Last Leg.

At 4-1 Gosport were sunk but they refused to head for the lifeboats.

They scored a second , with a freak own goal coming after an innocuous cross from the right wing by the aptly named Ronaldo Leggett cannoned off full back Joe Hunt and then looped over the 'Naval' gazing Joe Perry.

It was a cruel twist of fate for the youngster, as he was having the 'Perfect Storm' of a match, pursuing the Gosport players with the resolve of a bloodhound.

The game finished at 4-2 with Merthyr looking comfortable and much the better team over the 90 minute contest.

Whilst I didn't have the good fortune of winning the 50/50 or the raffle today,  I was pleased to discover that I had found a new five pound note in my wallet that had a miniature image of Harry Kane engraved thereon.

Not being either a Tottenham or England fan, but a person who hates that graffiti artist-
Banksy of England-I burnt it immediately.

For some strange reason, Merthyr had scored four quality goals, won three points, but just like Gosport, I suddenly had that sinking feeling.

But I didn't know why.

Boz

Last edited by Boz1964 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ebb n flow wrong)
Boz1964

Back to top Go down