Chesham v MERTHYR XI

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chesham v MERTHYR XI

Post  scamp on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:54 am

Lost 13-1. Man of the match gone to the merthyr keeper. Well done lads you done us proud in your efforts in what was an enormous challenge

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 am

Thank you lads hold your heads high.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 am

F/t 13-1. Flower scored for us with the last goal of the game!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:58 am

Well done to the Management for getting a team, the team, and everyone who travelled.

However, if you can't take black humour I'd certainly suggest a different post, forum and possibly team.
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 am

Quote of the day (so far) from Chesham's Matchday live Twitter:-
FT @cheshamutdfc 13 @MerthyrTownFC 1. Absolutely heartbreaking game to watch but fantastic to see the Merthyr team that played today. Days like today, results don't matter, non league football is a family that supports each other through all eventualities.
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacks1977 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:19 am

So bad that none of first team players. Wanted to stay and play for free for the club. Everything Gavin have done for them. And the fans. Who supports them every week. Money wouldn't matter to me. I do it because I love the badge

Jacks1977

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:25 am

Jacks1977 wrote:So bad that none of first team players. Wanted to stay and play for free for the club. Everything Gavin have done for them. And the fans. Who supports them every week.  Money wouldn't matter to me.  I do it because I love the badge

Apparently, some of the players offered to play today.
The following is a quote from a Stuart Fleetwood interview with The Hereford Times.

"I did offer to pay for free this Saturday because I wanted to make sure they could play this Saturday and that I could help them out," added Fleetwood.

"But they didn't want us to be left hanging on and said it would be best to find something else."
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  hirwaunman on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 am

Writing this in tears.
Well done boys for making a triumph out of humiliation - your efforts will not be forgotten.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 am

Agree I have seen similar situations in the past when we run out of money to pay players but then they continued to play for nowt in the end it shows the calibre of payers then they played to help the club not do a vanishing act two days after we run out of money.Do not blame them for going but not so ubruptly

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:31 am

Reading nubs posting perhaps we should be blaming the board

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:44 am

Post from Merthyr Twitter:-

just to clarify there has been a lot said today. No player refused to play with Players offering to play for free but the manager thought it was not fair on them. Their time effort and commitment has always been to the club and they deserve nothing but praise.
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:01 am

Just saw on Facebook that goalkeeper Cameron Clarke has re-joined the club from Cinderford Town
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:56 pm

It’s been a shocking week for you Martyrs fans.
I really hope you turn this around lads.
I have been reading the news coming out the club this week and am gutted for the fans and staff caught up in this current situation. It is being talked about on the Swansea and Newport County forums.

The few games I’ve attended at PP the last few season have been refreshing, watching a club with the community and it’s supporters at its heart.
I hope there is a solution in the future for Merthyr Town.

I will be coming up on tues 5th December v Banbury to show my support.

Keep the faith chaps.

Hats off to the lads that played today.

SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacks1977 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:38 pm

in the next 2 weeks I think there will some big changes at Merthyr town fc. And These ex board members need to answer questions! Disgusting how they destroyed our club

Jacks1977

Back to top Go down

Good Eggs

Post  Boz1964 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Just got back from the rugby watching Wales v Georgia but couldn't concentrate on the game thinking of our youngsters flying the flag for Merthyr Town.

The score was immaterial to me ....I was just so proud of their effort....

Let's hope this great club can find a way with players past and present to surpass this latest crisis.

Boz

Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Boz1964 wrote:Just got back from the rugby watching Wales v Georgia but couldn't concentrate on the game thinking of our youngsters flying the flag for Merthyr Town.

The score was immaterial to me ....I was just so proud of their effort....

Let's hope this great club can find a way with players past and present to surpass this latest crisis.

Boz

Certainly no shame or blame on the team today.Well done,and massive thanks for giving loyal service to the club.
The whole non league world is watching us,and believe me,there is a huge ground swell of good wishes for our situation.We are a cause celebre because of our recent past,and I have every confidence we'll ride this one out too. A 15 year old lad in goals who has the game of his life,and the rest of his mates all around him doing their bit speaks volumes for the real "grass roots" that this club stands for.

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  MTSC (PVM branch) on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:44 pm

The following pics were released to the PVM via twitter this evening for today's game;

http://www.dewilewis.co.uk/p540498861

MTSC (PVM branch)

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 am

The boys yesterday were truly "MARTYRS TO THE CAUSE". PS, my walking football colleagues and I still have our boots and are available if required, numerous years of experience".

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:12 am

Just saw pictures from yesterday. Saw pictures of Dominic and Elliot from walking football, well done lads, proud of you. Hope you didn't get caught running

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:28 am

Just reading the Daily Mirror and Merthyr plight has made page 46"

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  Chepstow on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:52 am

Chesham Utd v Merthyr
The heavy drizzle and the November half-light were probably the perfect conditions for this depressing experience at the end of a long week of ‘cloak-and-dagger’ off the pitch.

Old Sod’s planned absence from the fixture meant that the dicky phone was not in attendance, and, as Old Sod’s agreed replacement, I did think twice myself about attending! I was certainly not up to the required standards of on-the-spot reporting on this occasion, missing the penalty decision that set the avalanche going in the early minutes of the game.

Painful though it was, supporting the players (and coaches) was the motive for each of the 30-40 Martyrs fans – not just the heroes on the Chesham pitch, but also those absent friends who twice weekly for nine months of the year never fail to give 100%. Some may stay (let’s hope so), some may now go, but the players seem to love the club as much as the fans do.

For the record, the youth team took the field against an experienced and well-established Southern League team that did what it had to do. It was as difficult as any absent fan could possibly imagine in the first half, and 9-0 was the damage at half-time. Forty-five minutes is a long time when you only get the ball in a backs-to-the-wall situation, and cannot retain possession for long. Any one of these lads would do a reasonable job in a stronger Merthyr eleven, but the odds were stacked.

The half-time whistle was a blessed relief, and thank goodness that Gavin Williams and Ashley Thomas came on for virtually the whole of the second half. Without doubt, the other lads learned amazingly quickly too, and play was altogether more competitive. Time here for a heartfelt plea for Gavin to play part or all of every match – simples.

The splendid Chesham fans had at no point ridiculed our players and had appreciated quite early that 15 year old goalkeeper Ed Hewitson was beginning to emerge as a star on the day. He grew as the game went on, and, helped by the extra cover he got in the second half, thoroughly earned the official man of the match award. And each time he made a save, the home fans responded.

When Gavin Williams gets the ball, it sticks, and this alone made the second half a whole lot easier for Merthyr. This was no longer a procession – instead, the lads were passing the ball with some purpose and edging up field with Gavin conducting the play.

The four Chesham goals in the second half served to keep Merthyr feet on the ground, but the game was to end bizarrely after all of the heartache. The Martyrs fans were enjoying the extra possession, but they had not reckoned on a minor miracle. With a few minutes left, frontman Jacob
Flower found himself free on the halfway line with a clear run on goal. Gavin Williams made a lung-bursting decoy run as Flower bore down on goal, with a lone defender checked by Gavin’s run and the keeper wrong-footed by Flower’s early strike.

Cue an explosion of joy amongst the young Merthyr players, with every one of them racing to the fans behind the goals. The fans too were delirious, allowing themselves for the next few minutes to enjoy a break from the torture.

The striker incidentally netted both Merthyr’s goals in the league cup match at Shortwood, and made a more authentic league cameo appearance at Redditch two weeks ago.

At the final whistle there were further huge scenes of appreciation from Martyrs fans, while the Chesham supporters stayed behind several minutes heartily applauding the lads off the ground, having already cheered the Merthyr goal arguably more than any of their own. A word of thanks for the Chesham players who behaved throughout with great respect, and their club officials too.
Granted, it was an escapist end to the afternoon, but it was one which warmed the away support a little for the journey home.

Merthyr’s current crisis is, of course, sadly not unfamiliar in non-league football. In recent years Weymouth lost 9-0 at home, and Winchester crashed to a 12-0 defeat at Merthyr, both of them involving Southern League fixtures where a youth team replaced a first team squad. Hereford have experienced their own anguish even more recently. This season we have witnessed at close hand the troubles of both Dunstable and Gosport.

Many in South Wales will recall precisely the demise of Newport County in the late 80s, and even Accrington Stanley in the early 60s. Many would have been present at Ninian Park when a desperately weak Aldershot side played their last match before folding in 1992. Each one is different; each one is the same. In our own case, the shortfall in the players’ wages could probably be put right by the amount of money that a Premier League star spends on a decent night out. This thought did make Match of the Day a little bit harder to stomach this weekend.

Chepstow

Back to top Go down

Post  hirwaunman on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 am

Thanks, Chepstow, for an excellent and encouraging report.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:17 am

Solihull Martyr wrote:Well, kept the first half to single figures - h/t 9-0.
Possibly heading for biggest ever defeat?

Well Imp was it a record defeat for Merthyr Town/Tydfil?

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 am

cliffyboy wrote:
Solihull Martyr wrote:Well, kept the first half to single figures - h/t 9-0.
Possibly heading for biggest ever defeat?

Well Imp was it a record defeat for Merthyr Town/Tydfil?

It is for the present Merthyr Town otherwise I've no idea.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum