Club Chaplain and Memorial Garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Club Chaplain and Memorial Garden

Post  hirwaunman on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:19 am

As an owner of the club, I should like to know more about the decision to appoint a ‘Club Chaplain’ and to hold a religious ceremony to ‘bless’ the new Memorial Garden. Was this a board decision? I don’t remember seeing a mention of it in any Board minutes. What are the role and duties of the chaplain and why is that role considered necessary? The club is not a religious organisation and, according to the 2011 census, 42% of the population of Merthyr have no religion. Also, only 4.8% of the population of Wales are regular churchgoers. Anyone connected with the club who is religious is free to consult their own spiritual or pastoral advisor should they feel it necessary.

I fully support the concept of a Memorial Garden, but if an opening event is required, it would be perfectly possible to hold a meaningful and respectful secular ceremony acceptable to supporters of all faiths and none, and, in the interests of inclusivity, that is what should be arranged.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Re: Club Chaplain and Memorial Garden

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:51 pm

I think it is a magnificent gesture.
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Additions to the Squad.

Post  Boz1964 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Big strong for the normally mild-mannered Hirwaunman isn't?

I appreciate that your guys still haven't forgiven the squad for that Eden Gig but I think the idea of having a Memorial Garden is a good call....besides the Llwydcoed Taffia have had the monopoly on smoking in public for a long time now.

Whatever your belief or lack of belief -I think it is a wonderful community gesture.

Boz Note: I hope this Club Chaplain proves better than the Charlie Applin we had at the club in seasons past.
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Men 1969 Today at 5:34 am

I agree with the above. Whether it is your belief or not, it is a common position at a lot of professional clubs.

I also like the idea of the memorial garden. I have noticed some social media criticism about it's location at PP although, we have one! Not many clubs can boast such a thing.

Mr Men 1969

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top