MERTHYR v Slough

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MERTHYR v Slough

Post  Nubs on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:4-0 up at half time?

So who will be the first to use a certain well-worn cliché?

It was a game of four quarters.
We played well for the first quarter and then went AWOL for the last three.
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacks1977 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:14 pm

I really think Merthyr players needs to be full time. For us to have that fitness and sharpness! But then it's about funding wages:(

Jacks1977

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 pm

That was a better comeback than any of Frank Sinatras.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  Barneyboy on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 pm

I know I sound like a broken record at times but has anyone actually watched merthyr this season and big part of last season,theres poor communication on the pitch,players openly arguing on the field,players completely disregarding what's been asked of them by Gavin.whichever way you see it there's no way of sugar coating it there's big issue.dont get me wrong jarrad is so unfit and over weight,we can't rely on prosser who's injured and sadly past it which you saw last season with back issues and everything he couldn't run.fleetwood is also past it,cracking player in his day but can't score anymore.fairplay to traylor he's still scoring but he's not a striker.
I being a businessman understand it's all about finances etc I do,but merthyr will lose hundreds off a gate if we don't turn things around as we are a fickle crowd who come when it's shining and sunny and hide when we ain't playing that good.
Financially can we afford to have a poor side with 200 crowd it's a case of the chicken and the egg.

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:22 pm

[quote="Jacks1977"]Forget promotion this year!   we way off top of the league teams [

unbelievable the last couple of results, yet we are only 3 points away from the play offs!

Let's hope Gavin can sort our defence out ASAP

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Barneyboy on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi cliff boy I agree with the defense statement but we need to address our striker situation as well.

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 am

In relation to Jarred, class is permanent, weight is temporary.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:54 am

Whatever the half time  team talk was, it certainly wasn't very inspiring they came out for the second half and just sat back and how many times have we seen this before.It will be interesting to see the crowd on Saturday it was down last night I believe,once again we used three subs.and they brought nothing to the game.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Barneyboy on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:13 am

lets see where we are by Boxing Day!!

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:29 am

The manager signs the players and selects the team, to criticise any player or players by name on the forum except for praise, is in my opinion unacceptable, I do not think it is fair to those individuals or their families to be picked out for such criticism, I also think such remarks are defamatory and should be taken down by the moderator.

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Barneyboy on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 am

Jasper it's an open forum with freedom of speech enough said.

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Thomas on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 am

I attended the owners meeting last week & the Business plan presented showed we need a weekly income of £10k a week just to cover our Expenditure this season and BREAK EVEN, a tall order indeed, obviously poor results and poor crowds (last night was 355) make this even harder.

I agree we do need some new players and someone will need to be brought in to replace Cameron Pring, but in order to do so given our Financial Constraints players will probably need to be released. We need leaders on the park to organise and galvanise the team, we are sadly lacking these types of players and also as we have such a small squad there are too many players who are comfortable in their positions but that will always be the case whoever we sign. Also I believe the poor pre-season planning has had a detrimental effect on our performances as we did not test ourselves against good opponents to sharpen our fitness for the tough regime ahead.

Playing Part-Time Football particularly in this league where such a high percentage of games are played in a relatively short period up to the end of Oct is a tall order and players commitment should be commended especially when they have jobs as well, it's easy to criticise but it's a difficult job and no one likes losing not even the players.

Personally I believe we need to change the Management structure and by that I mean Gavin needs to get match fit and play, we have a Non-Playing Manager, Assistant Manager and a Coach to look after 16 players, surely 2 of these should be capable of playing as well and as a result we could free up part of our playing Budget for better players (just a thought) but this just my opinion.

Next up on Saturday is Gosport who up until last night only had 1 point so we should win this one,
I'm still optimistic that the Play-offs are possible, so let's kick start the season again this weekend.

Onwards and Upwards.

Paul Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Barneyboy on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:58 am

Paul thanks for that input and completely agree with you.

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:41 am

Barneyboy wrote:I know I sound like a broken record at times but has anyone actually watched merthyr this season and big part of last season,theres poor communication on the pitch,players openly arguing on the field,players completely disregarding what's been asked of them by Gavin.whichever way you see it there's no way of sugar coating it there's big issue.dont get me wrong jarrad is so unfit and over weight,we can't rely on prosser who's injured and sadly past it which you saw last season with back issues and everything he couldn't run.fleetwood is also past it,cracking player in his day but can't score anymore.fairplay to traylor he's still scoring but he's not a striker.
I being a businessman understand it's all about finances etc I do,but merthyr will lose hundreds off a gate if we don't turn things around as we are a fickle crowd who come when it's shining and sunny and hide when we ain't playing that good.
Financially can we afford to have a poor side with 200 crowd it's a case of the chicken and the egg.

Hardly a fickle crowd.
You assume a lot from a couple of lower than average gates.We are far more resilient as supporters than many teams enjoy at this level.
I missed the first home game in ages last night due to a stomach bug,not because the team are having a major blip.The last 2 results have been awful,no getting away from it,but they were against the top 2 teams,and we're still in the hunt for a top 5 place.
I also think you should give it a rest with your quite frankly, insulting personal comments about our own players,some of which have given us stalwart service over the years, for scant reward financially,having to endure long mid week away trips ,and have put their bodies on the line for the team,hence Ryan Prosser's current injury.
With your constant negativity you're beginning to sound like a troll planted by another club to whip up discord.
Give me an 100% committed Jarrad Wright carrying a bit of timber any day over some of the diving 11 stone Prima Donna's we've seen as visitors  to the park recently!

Last edited by CF34martyr on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR TOWN vs Slough Town

Post  PeterHarman on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:25 am

Just uploaded some photos from last nights game onto club website.

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 am

Good post Paul.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacks1977 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:21 am

Maybe the fans expectations are bit to high. If we want to be up there with the best something needs to change maybe more financial power for Gavin): and our youth development system needs a good sorting out. As we get good young players and lose them. Maybe a youth set up and education with Merthyr college for our un19s as they train and learn through the week. A lot of non league clubs got that with the youth teams. Works well!

Jacks1977

Back to top Go down

Post  DowlaisBoy on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 am

CF34martyr wrote:
Barneyboy wrote:I know I sound like a broken record at times but has anyone actually watched merthyr this season and big part of last season,theres poor communication on the pitch,players openly arguing on the field,players completely disregarding what's been asked of them by Gavin.whichever way you see it there's no way of sugar coating it there's big issue.dont get me wrong jarrad is so unfit and over weight,we can't rely on prosser who's injured and sadly past it which you saw last season with back issues and everything he couldn't run.fleetwood is also past it,cracking player in his day but can't score anymore.fairplay to traylor he's still scoring but he's not a striker.

Hardly a fickle crowd.
You assume a lot from a couple of lower than average gates.We are far more resilient as supporters than many teams enjoy at this level.
I missed the first home game in ages last night due to a stomach bug,not because the team are having a major blip.The last 2 results have been awful,no getting away from it,but they were against the top 2 teams,and we're still in the hunt for a top 5 place.
I also think you should give it a rest with your quite frankly, insulting personal comments about our own players,some of which have given us stalwart service over the years, for scant reward financially,having to endure long mid week away trips ,and have put their bodies on the line for the team,hence Ryan Prosser's current injury.
With your constant negativity you're beginning to sound like a troll planted by another club to whip up discord.
Give me an 100% committed Jarrad Wright carrying a bit of timber any day over some of the diving 11 stone Prima Donna's we've seen as visitors  to the park recently!

Spot on this post, Its a shame that only certain negative posters come on here when we lose one or two games and make it out to be a crisis. Previous to Saturday we had won 3 league games on the spin and nothing was said. Yeah last night was a shambles to lose from that position but to see some of the comments on social media is ridiculous.

DowlaisBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Barneyboy on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm

I honestly don't know which merthyr you guys watch but the Merthyr I go to watch have always had a fickle crowd,when we are winning we get 600-700 crowds,when we are losing it's 350-400 crowds if that's not fickle I don't know what is?
As for being a troll far from it and I haven't been planted on this forum by another team,gurnos born and raised.
Negativity as of late yes there has been I put in over £100 every home game to watch Merthyr plus a parking space and my season ticket so I put in more than the average joe if I feel things ain't going well I will say as I see it.
32 years I've been supporting Merthyr .

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Men 1969 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:34 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what happened on Tuesday night.

It's been a disappointing week for sure but we are still just a few points off the play-off positions so I don't think this is an on pitch crisis.......yet. In response to an earlier post about the critical comments aimed at players, first of all I don't really see a major issue with this unless it's blatantly offensive. If you are a paid footballer at any level, you should expect some formof criticism from time to time and it does comes with the territory. The board seem to get enough criticism and they are volunteers.

What I find alarming is the apparent lack of togetherness in the squad. Now I may be totally wrong here but that second half performance and probably a few performances that I have seen so far this season, hasn't demonstrated the type of unity that we had witnessed last season, in my opinion.

Now I am the positive one, a breath of fresh air if you like when it comes to this forum but I do agree with some of the previous posts on here over the last couple of days. The pre-season schedule was quite poor, some of the new arrivals haven't exactly stepped up to the mark despite the slight increase in the playing budget 'as previousl' suggested in another thread'. Of course it's never easy to replace the players that we have lost which I totally understand, although we now have a full time manager.

I think it's fair to ask what the role involves, whether it's more of a commercial, community position during the hours that are not required on the pitch? Or does it involve scouting for players and working on the first team?. I would like to think that he has been given a target for the season as well. Even with the financial issues currently, we are able to 'apparently' increase our playing budget and afford a full time manager. Being honest and with that in mind, I've been expecting better results on the pitch. There's still a very long way to go and I will support the boys as always. Time to see what they are really made of in the next couple of Months.

Mr Men 1969

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 am

Mr Men 1969 wrote:

...we now have a full time manager.

I think it's fair to ask what the role involves, whether it's more of a commercial, community position during the hours that are not required on the pitch? Or does it involve scouting for players and working on the first team?.

In the announcement on the club website about the awarding of a full-time contract to Gavin Williams it briefly stated:

'Alongside his managerial role, Williams will be working with the Academy team to assist with the progression of young players coming through the system and helping with elements of the club's work in the community.'

Perhaps more information could be requested at the supporters meeting prior to Saturday's match?
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Barneyboy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:27 am

Nicely said mr men

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Men 1969 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 am

Thank you Merthyr Imp. Hopefully the academy and the community trust is fully benefiting from is experience and presence.

Mr Men 1969

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum