Let's put the cat amongst the pigeons

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's put the cat amongst the pigeons

Post  Twyn Jasper on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:19 am

We have a club run by a team of professionals, we have with the help of many volunteers a solid financial base and players who give their all, but after reading the last couple of threads it looks like this is it, we have reached our non-league level.
We do not have the financial clout to offer players contracts or any other financial inducements. In the past wages could be made up with the offer of work in local factories, they have gone.
We might have the odd cup run, that would help, but with heavy heart and looking at what we are able to offer, where do we go from here? Do we have any future financial plans to aid our progression?
The question will always be asked should we be a part of the Welsh premier league set up with no progression, especially if there is money available from the league to offer players contracts, and possibly help to keep them, this coupled with the carrot of European football.
Obviously I would like to see Merthyr progress in our present leagues but is progression possible under our present financial constraints?

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's put the cat amongst the pigeons

Post  rustic on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Await the flak T.J.couple of interesting points.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:33 am

Our Business Plan will be published in the next few weeks which will answer the questions raised.

There is no appetite to join the Welsh Pyramid and in my mind it would be heracy to do so.

There are many clubs in South Wales who were in the WPL who have spent more than they should have and either no longer exist or who have restarted with Barry being one of them and we don't know how their wage bill is being funded.

I fail to see how, after being a whisker (or goalkeeper's hand) away from promotion to the NLS it can be said we've reached our level and we will go again next season.

Onwards and Upwards!
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  fistral10 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:47 am

Twyn Jasper - I've not heard anyone asking the question about joining the WPL for many a year, and I'm sure that everyone who helped establish the Supporters Trust and form Merthyr Town FC did so with the sole intention of competing in the English Pyramid. I can immediately think of Barry Town and Neath as clubs who paid insane amounts of money (it appeared to be common knowledge that Lee Trundle was paid in excess of £2k a week at Neath) in search of the Holy Grail that was a cup tie in Azerbaijan, and eventually both sides folded. I see no attraction whatsoever in joining a competition where the club cannot progress even if we won it every season for 20 years, a similar situation that Merthyr RFC now find themselves in. The battles that took place to ensure we retained our place in the pyramid are part of the history of the club, and the hypocrisy of the Welsh FA in allowing the New Saints to play their games in England whilst competing in the "premier" tournament in Wales sums it up.
Crowds are steadily increasing at Penydarren Park season on season, a situation that would undoubtedly be reversed if we were entertaining the likes of Bala and Gap Connahs Quay on a regular basis.

fistral10

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:30 am

I have to agree with the above posts .The wpl is a stagnant league and playing virtually the same teams year after year would be a complete bore.The attraction is the money being generated for European appearances.But with brexit and our exit from Europe would the wpl be allowed in European competitions in future only time will tell.With the addition of the new facilities at pp surely extra revenue is now or will be available for investment in the team.Though we cannot compare ourselves with Newport and Hereford I do not expect us to achieve entry to the football league I still think we can progress a little further up the pyramyd

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 am

T J is not suggesting we join the W.P.Ll ,I don't think there are any supporters want that I certainly don't.I think I will personally wait to see what the (We)will announce in due course sooner than later obviously.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:41 am

Yes Rustic you are right, I was not suggesting we join the WPL, however from time to time the question should be asked to remind ourselves why not!, my point was more than anything is where do we go from here and how do we hope to fund it in the Town’s depressed financial climate?

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum