Board Resignation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Board Resignation

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu May 18, 2017 8:54 am

Club owners will have now been notified of my resignation from the Merthyr Town FC Board, and in my case in order to avoid any speculation and innuendo I am quite happy to make public my reasons for this – at probably quite boring length, sorry!. I’m also putting this on Facebook – although not on the Forza Martyrs group as I was blocked from that some time ago.

It may somehow be known that I previously supported Lincoln City for many years and I have decided to revert to actively supporting them once more rather than just reading match reports on the Internet. While I could be accused of jumping on the bandwagon of their recent success, the fact is that having seen them play so often on TV this last season (including three times in Webley's) plus once in person at Forest Green, it brought so much back to me, thinking 'I should be there'.

It’s also a fact that I’ve spent the biggest proportion of my life following the Imps rather than the Martyrs. Regular readers of the match programme will know I’m a great one for statistics, and I’m sad enough to be able to say my record stands as: Merthyr games seen: 482 – Lincoln games seen: 992.

When I came to Merthyr nearly 19 years ago my intention was to see Lincoln play in whatever away matches I could get to and maybe go along to Penydarren Park just now and again. But after the first season I became a regular, and it was Lincoln that got pushed into the background more and more as time went on until I was giving the Martyrs the priority - to the stage where I was arranging our biennial family holiday in Lincoln for dates that would avoid missing Merthyr games rather than for dates that would enable me to see a Lincoln home match. Well, now I will be reversing that as I mean to finish as a regular Merthyr supporter - I know that if I did go to the occasional match I'd end up being a regular again - so this means, unfortunately also as a volunteer. Unfortunately, because it's proving a struggle to find someone to take over the programme. Although not intending at that stage to finish as a supporter, in every issue of it since the end of January, I've included a note asking if anyone would like to become at least a co-editor but this has not produced any results, so – once again – if anyone is interested please let me or the club know.

I had no thought of finishing a few months ago otherwise I would never have put myself forward for Board membership. I’m afraid it must be one of the shortest board memberships on record and I'm sorry about this, especially if anyone should feel that I've messed the club about. But it's not as if I'm letting down anyone who voted me onto the Board as of course no vote was necessary due to the lack of candidates.

At least I can’t be accused of ‘jumping ship’ at a time of crisis as I feel that Merthyr Town FC will continue to make steady progress as it has done since 2010.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Board Resignation

Post  hirwaunman on Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 am

Old loyalties die hard - or sometimes they never die - and we can only wish you well and thank you for the tremendous work you have put in during the most critical period for football in the town of Merthyr. I hope that the Imps do very well back in the EFL where they belong and, who knows, we could be just a level behind you before too long - beyond that I dare not dream.

As for the programme, I have learned that there is one thing that is worse than no-one coming forward for key voluntary roles in an organisation. That is when people are unrealistic about the commitment required and find that, after all, they cannot deliver. Nevertheless, I hope that someone with the necessary time, commitment and skills will soon come forward.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Imply Read

Post  Boz1964 on Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Well done Imp for all your efforts over the years.

Without the commitment and drive of volunteers like you - Non-League football Clubs or in fact any similar organisation would fold or wither away.

There is a general reluctance on people to help as they don't have the time or inclination and on most occasions just don't want it to impact on their social life.

Some people ( like me ) are too busy earning a crust to be able to devote time to such role and believe that this onerous task is best served by a retired person or someone in Merthyr who is on 'benefits' - which if you believe the biased media is EVERYONE in our Town.

The Programme will be a poorer place without our assimilated Lincolnshire 'poacher'.

Let's hope the signing on fee for the Hereford Bull Times is worth it.

Boz

Last edited by Boz1964 on Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : An Imp special)
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Re: Board Resignation

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu May 18, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks, both.

Re the programme, it's true I couldn't have found the time to devote to it if I hadn't been retired, but nevertheless up to around ten or so years ago it was edited by people (sometimes jointly) who were also in paid work.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Fri May 19, 2017 11:22 am

Would it be possible for one of the paid people at the club to fulfill this position.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top