MERTHYR v Hitchin

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MERTHYR v Hitchin

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Team:
Davies Davies Barrow Evans Patten Wright Prosser Richards McLaggon Reffell Jenkins 

Subs:
Mcdonald Copp Traylor Compton Bull
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Re: MERTHYR v Hitchin

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:09 pm

1-0 McClaggon 9th min
It was a long throw, Prosser flicked it on and McClaggon had a tap-in
Great start
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:17 pm

1-1 20th min
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:42 pm

1-1 half time
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm

80th min sub. Traylor on and McClaggon off
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:47 pm

1-1 full time
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Half time aet still 1-1
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Jenkins and Richards off. Compton and Copp on
Last 15mins
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm

F/t 1-1 aet
On to penalties!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Lost 4-1 on penalties. 2 poor from the home side.
Hugely disappointing, still all in all a positive season. Next year let's win the league - ahead of Hereford!

Good luck to Hitchin away to Leamington.
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Pipped at the Hitchin Post

Post  Boz1964 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 pm

Their keeper's one handed save in the last minute won Hitchin the game.

The order of the universe was against us tonight.

The boys have been class all season and deserve their Summer break.

Very proud of each and every one that has worn our shirt this season.

Heads up Clarkie....we go again next season.

Boz

Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Left the stadium tonight feeling like I'd been mugged
Don't think there would have been any complaints if we had won six nil!!! It was that one sided ,footy gods were against us tonight!! Lads did us proud brilliant effort by all great crowd

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Tonight’s team:

O.Davies;
A.Davies,Wright,Patten,Barrow;
Richards,Evans:;
McLaggon,Reffell,Jenkins;
Prosser;

Subs:
Traylor for McLaggon after about 81 minutes
Copp for Richards after 105 minutes
Compton for Jenkins at the same time
McDonald
Bull

With Scott Tancock still unfit Kyle Patten continued in defence, but Curtis McDonald and Ian Traylor were fit enough to return on the bench. Ryan Prosser came in for Josh Bull up front.
For whatever reason, Hitchin seemed to have a less than full strength side out, with Callum Donnelly on the subs’ bench where he stayed – the game consequently being played in a good spirit.

With a large crowd coming into the ground the kick-off was delayed until 7.53pm.

The first moment of note came after about 8 minutes and saw us take the lead. A long throw on the right was headed on by Ryan Prosser to Kayne McLaggon at the far post for him to put into the net with the keeper unable to keep it out.

After about 13 minutes Eliot Richards was adjudged to have handled the ball about 25 yards out, but the free kick was hit into the wall. This started a bit of pressure from Hitchin, and a couple of minutes later a good shot from the left of the area was just touched over the bar by Oliver Davies – however a goal kick was given!

But after about 19 minutes the equaliser came when a shot from the right was touched onto the far post by Oliver Davies where Matt Lench was following up to tap into the net.

The game quietened down then, with not much being created by either side until on about 37 minutes a a good cross shot from Robbie Burns on the left was well fielded by Davies.

A minute before the break Ryan Prosser headed the ball on to Kayne McLaggon who tried an overhead kick, but it was straight at the keeper.

1-1 was a fair reflection of the game up to half time, but we started the second half on top, and on about 59 minutes looked as if we’d scored, but Ryan Prosser’s header from a Scott Barrow corner was somehow blocked on the line.

We continued to press Hitchin back, playing as well as we have all season at home but not quite able to find a way through.

After about 73 minutes Keyon Reffell broke down the right and put the ball across for Kayne McLaggon to have a close range effort deflected for a corner as the pressure on Hitchin was continual with them unable to do anything at all going forward. About 10 minutes from the end Ian Traylor came on for Kayne McLaggon and the 90 minutes ended 1-1.

A couple of minutes into extra time Corey Jenkins was fouled just outside the area on the left, and again it seemed we’d scored, but Scott Barrow’s free kick came back off the bar. A couple of minutes after that a ball across from Ian Traylor on the right saw Ryan Prosser turn on it but his shot was deflected for a corner. Extra time was continuing where the second 45 minutes had left off, and with about 15 minutes gone Keyon Reffell beat a man down the right, took the ball along the line and had a shot deflected wide.

For the second period of extra time Kyle Copp replaced Eliot Richards, with Keyon Reffell dropping deeper, and Jack Compton came on in a straight swap for Corey Jenkins.

About 5 minutes into the last period Compton put over a good cross from the left but it was headed away. Then in the last minute, for the third time it seemed we’d scored, when Jarrad Wright’s header from a corner was going just under the bar when the keeper made a great save to touch it over the top,

So to penalties:

Hitchin’s Lucas Kirkpatrick scored – 1-0
Keyon Reffell saw his shot saved – still 1-0
Hitchin’s Ben Walster (I think) scored – 2-0
Ryan Prosser coolly slotted home – 2-1
Hitchin’s Will Wright scored – 3-1
Kyle Copp saw his shot saved – still 3-1, meaning they needed one more to win, and duly got it through Lewis Rolfe to win 4-1.

Well, as I said, it was as well as we’d played at home all season, with everyone on top of their game and completely dominating Hitchin from the start of the second half onwards. But we couldn’t quite manage another goal, what with a header cleared off the line, a free kick hitting the bar and a brilliant last minute save from the Hitchin keeper, who together with his 2 penalty saves won the match for them.

Man of the match for me was Eliot Richards. A mention for Kyle Patten who I don’t think put a foot wrong in defence, and for Ryan Prosser who won most things in the air up front, but with such a good team performance we didn’t deserve to lose in such a way.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:27 pm

I've just got home from the game.
Absolutely gutted for you guys.
Should have won that 7-1 if it weren't for their keeper.
Great support tonight and keep your heads up for next season lads.
All the best.
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Barneyboy on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:29 pm

Have to disagree with you about your comment on Ryan prosser,personally I thought he was bloody awful.
Yes he's good with his head but that's it,he can't challenge for the ball and can't move any more to save his life.
He's been an amazing servant but his legs have departed.

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:47 am

Barneyboy wrote:Have to disagree with you about your comment  on Ryan prosser,personally I thought he was bloody awful.
Yes he's good with his head but that's it,he can't challenge for the ball and can't move any more to save his life.

YES I am also gutted, I was in a section of crowd that would totally disagree will you, We are all entitled to our own general opinion, however I do not agree with slagging off any of our individual players on this forum, He did everything that was expected of him including scoring his penalty, He ran his legs off and yes he was knackered due to his work rate. You must realise that Hitchin were aware of his Arial threat and he is most potent with our wide players getting forward and crossing back from the bye line for him to attack in the box. Hitchin did their homework and cut out almost all these crosses limiting us to diagonal long balls.

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

The Pain Barrier

Post  Boz1964 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:09 am

Totally agree Jasper,

I have heard that the Prossiah has been awaiting a back operation limiting his ability to jump.

Any player that plays through this pain barrier at personal risk deserves our admiration and not criticism.

I for one am extremely proud of each of the players this season with special mentions for Barrow, Tancock, Adam Davies ( who was outstanding again last night) and of course Traylor and Ashley Evans.

We may have failed to win the penalty lottery but performance wise we were much the better team second half.

Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR V Hitchin

Post  bluebird on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:25 am

Well done to all it has been an immense season & a pleasure to watch (worth every penny)

Onwards now to the next.

bluebird

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:46 am

Well done everyone their keeper was the one person who stopped us winning,i personally cannot see how we can criticise anyone after the effort they put in.The only thing i don't understand is not using Josh Bull a goalscorer when penalties were looming as well.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 am

Barneyboy wrote:Have to disagree with you about your comment  on Ryan prosser,personally I thought he was bloody awful.
I'm a season ticket holder and have seen most home games !!! And a few away , there is no one who puts a Merthyr shirt on who has not give their all , to single a player out is not the Merthyr way , if he is waiting for surgery then I take my hat off to pross for being on the filed!!!! This as been a brilliant season just a shame we couldn't extend it for one more game , my thanks to all involved this seasonlooking forward to the next challenge onwards and up 
Well done lads !!!!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:48 am

Now for something more important, what was up with the Tannoy?

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Re: MERTHYR V Hitchin

Post  hirwaunman on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:55 am

Obviously a disappointing result, and more so because we were undoubtedly the better team, particularly in the second half. We missed some chances but it was one brilliant save and some sheer bad luck that did for us on the night. It was good to see such a sizeable crowd, and hopefully some will come more regularly in future.
Thanks to the players, management, staff and volunteers for a hugely enjoyable and entertaining season - best goal difference in the division and excellent home record.
We have everything in place to do even better next season.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:59 am

Twyn Jasper wrote:Now for something more important, what was up with the Tannoy?

Could have been something to do with the construction of the new fencing did notice trailing cables around the area !!!
Just a observation that

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:52 am

What was crowd last night.

rustic

Back to top Go down

RE:Merthyr v Hitchin

Post  hirwaunman on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:57 am

The Southern League website reports that the crowd was 1,453.

It has been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum that some loudspeakers have had to be disconnected while the new fencing is being put up.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum