Board resignations

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Board resignations

Post  douggolfer on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:20 pm

I can't believe that two of the most influential board members the club as had  felt the need to resign!!!!! there seems to be no statement made by the club and nothing was discussed on the night of the owners meeting???
I feel the club should call a special meeting for all who  follow M T F C , These guys have contributed more to the club then any fan,board member or owner!!! They were Paramount in the club reforming and in the current fan owned situation, we need these guys back on the board. I am flabagasted that the board considered excepting the resignations. the question as to be asked and answered  why two people who have Merthyr football club running through their  body would  consider resigning, we as supports,owners and fans can not allow this to happen .
Perhaps it seems a little more clearer why Kit Symons was invited !!!!!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Re: Board resignations

Post  rustic on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Which two is it and why the secrecy.??

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Nothing on the official Web site.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 pm

It was announced in an email sent to all owners last Thursday morning with the heading 'Board Update & Owners Meeting Tonight'.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Well I didn't receive a updated email !!!but I was in north wales so perhaps the website doesn't reach the far ...
Richard Bennett and Mark Evens (wolsey)

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Surely the club should inform the supporters who buy season tickets,pay at the gate,buy 50/50 tickets and soccalot tickets, it's not mi5 we are running, it's a non league football club.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Sorry to see those resign.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Just spotted the email.

Like to go on record to thank the two for all they've done.
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 pm

I'd like to go on record and get them reinstated, also I think we deserve the reason for the resignation !!!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Thomas on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:52 am

douggolfer wrote: I think we deserve the reason for the resignation !!!

Have to agree!

Paul Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Men 1969 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:54 am

Yes that is disappointing. I don't know the two gentlemen on a personal basis but I am aware of their major contributions.

I agree with Doug about inviting Kit Symons to the owners meeting as it's primarily meant for owners and I'm not really sure whether it would have been appropriate. Fully agree with that although knowing that one of the now former board members has a heavy influence at the FAW I can only assume that he may have been the main contact here. Again it's just a presumption and a possible effort to add more to the meetings and attract more members?

My nephew received an email about it and there was also a tweet and a post on Facebook. Admittedly not everyone uses social media but owners do get these emails and if you don't, basically contact the lad who will fix it, he's pretty good at helping out in fairness. As members, I dont see much of an issue with information like this being distributed to owners only, or first initially. If information gets posted into the public domain then the membership packages will be devalued.

Also, I believe that the two gentlemen were 2 of the 3 board members who put themselves forward to sort out the memorabilia in Webley's. Not much has been said about this in the last couple Months. Any developments here?

Again it is disappointing that they have left especially as only one new person put their name forward in the last election. Their reasoning would be interesting to hear. It may be revealed soon?

Finally can I just say that last Saturday for the Weymouth game was fantastic (apart from on the pitch). Webley's was a hive of activity with lots of different things going on and all in all a great atmosphere.

Mr Men 1969

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 am

Mr Men 1969 wrote: ...knowing that one of the now former board members has a heavy influence at the FAW I can only assume that he may have been the main contact here. Again it's just a presumption and a possible effort to add more to the meetings and attract more members?

Exactly so on both counts.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Resignations

Post  Barneyboy on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Can someone shed some light on the reasons for the resignations????

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffia on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Barneyboy wrote:Can someone shed some light on the reasons for the resignations????

Has it occurred to anyone asking for reasons as to why two board members have resigned, that the reason(s) may well be personal to the gentlemen concerned and none of anyone else's business?
Taffia

Back to top Go down

Taffia

Post  Barneyboy on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Taffia its a plain and simple question which I have a right to ask?this is also a public forum

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Entitled to ask – absolutely. Entitled to expect a response – absolutely not.

As someone who has resigned from Board positions, it was entirely my decision as to what, and to who, I gave my reasons.

Board gave similar platitudes to those given to the two in question.
For the record, I think it’s a total shame two such excellent chaps have withdrawn, for whatever their reason. Personally, I would also like to know why, however it will be entirely at their discretion.

Also, a shame there ae not a list of potential candidates to replace them…
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Taffia wrote:
Barneyboy wrote:Can someone shed some light on the reasons for the resignations????

Has it occurred to anyone asking for reasons as to why two board members have resigned, that the reason(s) may well be personal to the gentlemen concerned and none of anyone else's business?
I agree to a certain extent, but if the reasons are that simple then is it not prudent for the board to make a statement such as for personal reasons we have to announce etc etc providing both members agree to this, knowing both of them and they're love for mtfc and for both of them to resign  is somewhat dubious, this club will suffer from they're loss,

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Solihull Martyr wrote:

Also, a shame there are not a list of potential candidates to replace them…

Just as there was a shortage of candidates to stand against the three Board members up for re-election recently. Nothing against them, but a shame there was such a lack of interest.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:
Solihull Martyr wrote:

Just as there was a shortage of candidates to stand against the three Board members up for re-election recently. Nothing against them, but a shame there was such a lack of interest.
Perhaps that in its self explains enough, !!!!!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:10 am

douggolfer wrote:
Merthyr Imp wrote:
Solihull Martyr wrote:

Perhaps that in its self explains enough, !!!!!

The lack of interest explains a lot to me about the attitude of some of the supporters of this club.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 am

I don't think it's anything to do with attitude!!! You can't get blood out of a stone ,which is exactly what a lot of supports think, nothing worse the having to follow a board decision when it's felt it's not in the clubs best interest
Over the last couple of seasons the club as gone from being run by oweners and board to being run by a ceo
We have created a huge amount of paid positions and paying large salaries that we the owners have little knowledge of!!!
I believe lots of owners don't want to feel they are knocking theyer head against a brick wall.
this is why supports don't volunteer anymore

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 am

I know just what you mean about head being knocked against a brick wall.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:I know just what you mean about head being knocked against a brick wall.

I don't know if that statement is ment to be in agreement with me or if it's a pure sarcasm????
I'll bend to my better nature and go with agreement!!!!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Re: Board Resignations

Post  hirwaunman on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 pm

The low attendance at Owners' Meetings and lack of candidates for Board posts does not necessarily mean a lack of interest by owners. It could just as easily mean that owners are, in general, very content with the way the club is being run and with who is doing the running. That view is supported by the remarkable progress that the club has made on and off the field since being reformed - an achievement that is all too easily overlooked as time passes, but that has won plaudits from across the football world. Personally I have nothing but admiration for all who have shouldered the burdens that such excellent progress has required.

On the other hand, owners should not be complacent because, if and when Board members do step down, a lack of suitable replacement candidates can make it all too easy for self-important but mediocre or downright destructive candidates to get on the Board. The effect of such people and the effort required to deal with them can then disastrously undermine the morale of the remaining, competent board members.

I have no idea why the two board members have resigned, but in my experience it is easy for people to feel undervalued and tired out after years of hard work, and then some comparatively minor decision with which they disagree can provide the last straw.

I don't know why Kit Symons was invited to the last Owners' meeting, but I would guess that it was a reasonable and laudable attempt to generate more interest in the sort of meeting that can often seem unappealing. It doesn't help that owners are scattered far and wide across the valleys and beyond.

It is entirely reasonable to employ paid staff to carry out work which is beyond the resources of volunteers as the club develops. Expecting too few volunteers to do too much work keeps away possible candidates both for the board and for other tasks.

There tend to be four main reasons why people don't put themselves forward for positions on any Management Committee:
1. They have paid employment or other - and, to them, more important - things going on in their lives which mean that they are simply too busy. They may well be members, or, in our case, regular supporters who enjoy their football but they don't seek or can't give anything more. If that is what people genuinely feel, it's hard to argue.
2. They fear that, if they get involved, the traditional shortage of suitable other volunteers means they will be stuck with the position for far longer than they intended or wished. That can be helped by acknowledging and recording time limits on an individual's involvement from the outset.
3. They believe, often unfairly, that the Board is some kind of clique of time-honoured supporters amongst whom newcomers don't comfortably fit.
4. They simply don't have enough information about what would be expected of them - the day-to-day, month-to-month requirements of the various roles, how onerous the demands of a role would be and how well-fitted they are to undertake it. All too often there is nothing resembling a job description, which is as vital for voluntary roles as paid ones. This can situation can be eased by running the occasional informative session about the Board's work and that of other volunteers, or even designating an existing board member with dedicated responsibility for finding, informing, advising and welcoming prospective volunteers.
Often people newly retired from paid roles can be a fruitful source for volunteering, as soon as they realise that getting involved beats the hell out of housework.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Good post, hirwaunman. You and Mr Men 69 and Boz1964 on his match report thread are helping make the brick wall that much softer.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top