Re: Biggleswade v MERTHYR

Post  cliffyboy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:14 am

SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) wrote:Brilliant result
sorry I doubted the team before half time

Biggleswade 2-5 MERTHYR TOWN
SWANSEA CITY 3-2 Burnley

this makes Swansea jack a very happy SgorioFruit indeed

gutted for Newport county after today.

anyway well done Martyrs, well done indeed, this win will lift their heads back up now.
da iawn bois bach

What have Swans and Newport got to do with the Southern League Premier? Rolling Eyes

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Scorio for Fun

Post  Boz1964 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:17 am

The Hills have smiles .... Swansea Jack and lots of them tonight too.

The best comeback since Frank Sinatra, George Burns and Bobby Ewing in the shower....

Boz

Very Happy
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:19 am

cliffyboy wrote:

SWANSEA CITY 3-2 Burnley

anyway well done Martyrs, well done indeed, this win will lift their heads back up now.
da iawn bois bach

What have Swans and Newport got to do with the Southern League Premier? Rolling Eyes

I think he was just saying which results today had made him happy or otherwise.

Personally, after events of a few weeks ago I'm always happy when any team Joey Barton is involved with loses.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Markymark88 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:35 am

cliffyboy wrote:

SWANSEA CITY 3-2 Burnley

da iawn bois bach

Give us chance.
Markymark88

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:38 am

Well, to quote from the match preview on the website:

'Kayne McLaggon’s goal was enough to beat [Biggleswade] at Penydarren Park, and after a run of six games without scoring another goal for him now would be very welcome.'

Two goals were even more welcome, and put him onto 21 for the season.

With Hitchin not playing today the win moves us back above them to 4th place and maintains the gap of 8 points ahead of Banbury in 6th. The two extra goals after going 3-2 up could prove vital to the goal difference at the end of the season as it's very tight between the top five clubs - at the moment anyway.

Results elsewhere included:

Chippenham 1 Dunstable 0
Frome 1 Banbury 2
Leamington 2 St Neots 0

And there was drama at Slough who lost their goalkeeper to a serious injury which held up the match for 40 minutes, but with an outfield player in goal for 70 minutes they beat Basingstoke 3-2.

Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:55 am

Boz1964 wrote:It could have been worse he could have been sent to Coventry or even Solihull?...Boz
Yeah, right. Solihull nominated as one to the top places to live in the UK! Smile
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:58 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:
Solihull Martyr wrote:Gavin Williams sent to the stands

So presumably wouldn't be able to bring himself on as a substitute.
Funnily enough, the eldest and I were discussing this. So I asked our resident referee, JC, who reliably tells me once you are sent off, you can take no further part in the game - as manager, player or anything else.

So the answer is: no!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:00 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:
cliffyboy wrote:

SWANSEA CITY 3-2 Burnley

da iawn bois bach

I think he was just saying which results today had made him happy or otherwise.

Personally, after events of a few weeks ago I'm always happy when any team Joey Barton is involved with loses.
Totally agree. Personally, I'm always pleased when Welsh teams do well. Shame for Cardiff today, who lost 2-1 despite opening the scoring.
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:06 am

Well, what to say about that. Hopefully the wobble is over. And a tremendous response after going 2 down to a side who - as has been said have a decent home record.

I understand the players have looked a little jaded recently - hopefully that result is just the pick-me-up tonic, and they can push on and firmly establish a play-off position.

In terms of the league, the win moves us up to third, although Slough and Hitchin have games in hand. On a more positive note, we are 8 points clear of dropping our of the playoffs. Onwards & upwards - keep it black and white!

Buzzing a bit after that - to the point were I feel ready to read an Old S*d report in a single sitting! Thankfully, I'm sure the feeling will pass...!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:24 am

Nice one Imp.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:50 am

Solihull Martyr wrote:Well, what to say about that. Hopefully the wobble is over. And a tremendous response after going 2 down to a side who - as has been said have a decent home record.

I understand the players have looked a little jaded recently - hopefully that result is just the pick-me-up tonic, and they can push on and firmly establish a play-off position.

In terms of the league, the win moves us up to third, although Slough and Hitchin have games in hand. On a more positive note, we are 8 points clear of dropping our of the playoffs. Onwards & upwards - keep it black and white!

Buzzing a bit after that - to the point were I feel ready to read an Old S*d report in a single sitting! Thankfully, I'm sure the feeling will pass...!

We are fourth actually, Leamington, Slough and Hitchin all have 2 games in hand over us. We are nailed on for a play off place IMO with just eight games to go, hopefully second or third to give us a home game in the semi. I still maintain this Forum is for all things Merthyr Town FC and the Southern League Premier.

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:54 am

cliffyboy wrote:
Solihull Martyr wrote:Well, what to say about that. Hopefully the wobble is over. And a tremendous response after going 2 down to a side who - as has been said have a decent home record.

We are fourth actually, Leamington, Slough and Hitchin all have 2 games in hand over us. We are nailed on for a play off place IMO with just eight games to go, hopefully second or third to give us a home game in the semi. I still maintain this Forum is for all things Merthyr Town FC and the Southern League Premier.

was just simply pointing out why I am extra happy today.

life is too short mate Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Match highlights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN-b4seyrys
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:50 pm

Wow what a soft penalty that was, Oliver clearly gets a hand maybe even two to the ball, very soft imo
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Imp TV

Post  Boz1964 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks Imp,

Great to see the highlights and a Martyrs comeback on a pitch with more bobbles than a
Noel Edmonds jumper.

Pick of the bunch was the Ian Traylor curler.

Never a penalty, that Lino got it completely wrong and with the referee unsighted it was his decision entirely.

Fair play to Oliver Davies to get on with the game rather than get a pointless booking and a yellow protest card.

Amazing result which should be the perfect catalyst for the playoff run in.

Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Unfortunately OS could not be there today but Chepstow will provide the necessary for you. Ollie had 2 hands on the ball for that penalty shout and the decision to award it was soft to say the least. But the boys fought back well and gained us a valuable 3 points.
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  fistral10 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:48 am

SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) wrote:do we want the play offs or not?
3 weeks ago we were one win away from top spot

Looking at the timings of your previous posts on match days, it appears you don't actually watch the Martyrs or the Swans, therefore I fail to see how you can comment on the team's performances in the last three weeks or over the season. We had a poor run recently picking up only 1 point out of 9 but still look a safe bet for the play offs, though that run may have damaged our hopes of a home tie.
Did the Swansea players want to stay in the Premiership a couple of months ago or were they happier to be heading for the Championship?

fistral10

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:00 am

Boz, in retrospect of your influence on the world. Could you predict the soccolot numbers for tomorrow and this weeks lottery.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Nostrildamus

Post  Boz1964 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:24 am

Not for you Ownes you have enough monies without having to rely on the National Lottery.

However, I will do a 'tea leaf' reading for my fellow passenger when we go to Chippenham for a 2-1 Win in a fortnight.

If I were you for a guaranteed Merthyr Lotto result try numbers 25, 26 , 27 & 28...

Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:50 am

Still not going.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffia on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:49 pm

fistral10 wrote:
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) wrote:do we want the play offs or not?
3 weeks ago we were one win away from top spot

Looking at the timings of your previous posts on match days, it appears you don't actually watch the Martyrs or the Swans, therefore I fail to see how you can comment on the team's performances in the last three weeks or over the season.

Mobile phones connect to the internet. And we know that through the updates we get if we are unable to get to a game ourselves.
Fail to see why timings of posts have anything to do with your comment.

Last edited by Taffia on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Taffia

Back to top Go down

Post  Chepstow on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:46 am

BIGGLESWADE V MERTHYR
Merthyr’s recent run of disappointing results ended spectacularly at Biggleswade, with four goals in the last quarter of the game earning a 5-2 win.
With Scott Barrow serving the first of his three match suspension, Scott Tancock came in at left-back, while Kyle Patten made a welcome return in midfield, indirectly replacing Ryan Prosser, absent with a back injury.
Team:
Davies
Davies Wright McDonald Tancock
Reffell Evans Patten
Richards McLaggon Compton

Subs: Copp Williams Traylor Jenkins

The Biggleswade pitch was playable, but difficult, after a lot of rain in the previous 48 hours. The home side took early advantage of the slope and the wind to make life uncomfortable for Merthyr’s defenders trying to turn in the untypically slippy conditions.

The Martyrs perhaps needed a touch or two of good fortune, but instead they suffered again early on at the hands of zealous officials. This time it was a penalty awarded after 8 minutes against Ollie Davies, who dived at the feet of Rhys Hoeness, trying to collect a header back from Curtis McDonald. The decision was harsh at best, with the home side happy to accept the bonus. Hoeness stepped up and squeezed the penalty just inside the left-hand post, with Ollie Davies yet again guessing correctly, but unable to pull off the save.

Merthyr were playing some compact football often deep inside the Biggleswade half, but they were being repeatedly crowded out by a buoyant home side.

A second goal rocked the Martyrs after 35 mins. A long high ball down the left eluded Jarrad Wright and gave the dangerous Hoeness a long run at goal. In the clear, he cut in from the left, chose his moment and slipped the ball across Davies and inside the far post to make it 2-0. Heads did not go down, but safe to say that Merthyr players and fans were stunned.

With some message-board talk during the week of the need for new strikers (possibly available at seven figure sums), it was same old, same old Kayne McLaggon who pulled the Martyrs back into the game just before half-time with a proper poacher’s goal. Wriggling in a crowded six yard box, he forced Ian Brown into a smart save, and then lashed the rebound into the roof of the net to give the lads a vital lifeline at half-time.

Out of public view at the interval, Gavin Williams was sent off by referee Paul Forrester (no prizes for guessing why) and he then positioned himself by our attacking left-wing corner flag for a few minutes in the second-half. Then a steward was dispatched to arrest him and remove him to the main stand from where he watched his team complete its escape act.

Bigglewade’s fast, direct front men were still posing threats in the second half, but they were not making the same inroads into the heart of the Merthyr defence. Our back line was shepherding the ball back reasonably comfortably to Ollie Davies, and he was sweeping with some confidence, as well as handling a couple of snap shots from Connor Vincent without fuss.

With Merthyr increasingly winning the territorial battle, Gavin and/or Dean Clarke brought on Ian Traylor and Corey Jenkins for Adam Davies and Eliot Richards, both of whom had played a full part in wrestling the initiative back from Biggleswade. Not for the first time, a double substitution and a reshuffle gave the opposition all too much to think about.

A low shot from Keyon Reffell forced a full-length save from keeper Ian Brown, and Merthyr were starting to clock up corner after corner. Jack Compton’s left-foot bending delivery from either wing began to give Brown and his defence an unsettling time. From one swinging corner on the right Curtis McDonald hit the post, then headed over the bar. After 70 minutes, Merthyr were back on equal terms, when Jarrad Wright got on the end of another right-wing corner from Compton to head the ball home.

Kyle Patten, returning to the starting eleven after a long absence, was playing a key role box-to-box alongside Ashley Evans, no more so than when he blocked a goalbound effort by the home side at close range with the score still at 2-2. Soon after, McLaggon stooped to head into the net from inside the six-yard box another Compton corner that the Biggleswade defence could not deal with, and Merthyr were 3-2 up.

With just a few minutes left on the clock, Corey Jenkins was freed by Compton, now appearing down the left, and pulled the ball back for Ian Traylor. Traylor characteristically dummied a right-foot shot and turned inside before curling a left-footer high in the net for 4-2.

Turning the screw, Compton played Kyle Copp (on for Keyon Reffell) again in the clear. Copp might have seen an opportunity for glory, but unselfishly squared for Jenkins, who like Traylor before him, dummied a shot before side-footing into the net for 5-2. Cue the final whistle and mutual respect between the Benettorial Army and home keeper Ian Brown, followed by mutual joy between Martyrs fans and players. Believe.

Chepstow

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:28 am

Markymark88 wrote:
cliffyboy wrote:

SWANSEA CITY 3-2 Burnley

da iawn bois bach

Give us chance.

Meaning that Newport are almost just a division away after the drubbing by Orient?

Anyhow, given that I was in the away end in Swansea, I can at least say that the extra time goals at Biggleswade (and Swindon) did at least temper the frustration of giving a point away in extra time with bad defending. What a difference Heaton makes.

It was slightly odd meeting somebody in a Martyrs top before the game knowing that he was supporting the opposition. I can't remember that happening before.........

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum