Boom boom, shaken by Frome

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boom boom, shaken by Frome

Post  Boz1964 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Boom boom, shaked by Frome

As Storm Doris continued to blow across Wales, our all-weather pitch did its level best to host a game of football against rapidly improving Frome Town.

But for most Merthyr fans, they decided to stay away from a 'Doris Day' preferring a
'pyjama game' in the house watching Wales rugby union team being trounced by our Celtic cousins North of the Border.

In driving rain and blustery wind, the 340 or so fans present must have wondered why they bothered too, as both teams struggled to play decent football against the elements.

It reminded me of that Michael Jackson album - no....not Thriller....you know it it was Bad...REALLY bad.

With Frome Town being nicknamed the Robins, then perhaps the Outfit from Somerset were better suited to the Winter Wet, as they flitted along the greasy surface, staying low , proving hard to knock off their perch.

Whereas unbalanced Merthyr, looked more like a reliant robin taking a corner too quickly.

It has been patently obvious to most fans that there has been a 'black hole' in our central midfield all season, and that hole needs to be filled by a new man.

Preferably a Ryan Newman that is.

Someone who can plug the Leek.

A player at the top of the diamond that can drive at defenders and create 'space' or unleash a shot that will worry opposition keepers.

Failing that can we get an appointment with Faith Healer Eileen Drewery for Matthew Harris?

Today, in our most ineffective performance so far this season, we tamely surrendered our unbeaten home record to an unspectacular Frome team and dropped us down the table to our true position.

If we are completely honest, we have been riding our luck over the last few weeks, with our form dipping down dramatically since the loss of on-loan Josh Yorwerth.

It has not gone unnoticed that we have failed to beat any of our top five play off rivals at home or away, and in recent weeks, our strike force has had all the potency of the Jeremy Corbin Trident programme.

Today, our Full back, Aldo the Apache, had an excuse for slipping and sliding about on the very wet 3G pitch, as he still had half of the scalp of the Hitchin 8 clogging up his studs, but as for the rest of the 'Inglorious Basterds' they moved less than the models at Madame Tussaud's.

This was illustrated by one throw-in on the left, when he was nearly tempted to throw the ball to himself.

Frome Town only recorded one shot on target in the first half and that came from their defender, the Fresh Prince of Ball-Air, Connor Roberts, whose long range daisy-cutter shot flew passed the unsighted Oliver Davies and into the right corner of the net for a deserved lead.

Normally, Merthyr are stung into action and a response but today there was more bounce-back-ability in a dead kangaroo.

It was as if the whole team had been sprayed with a VX Nerve Agent before the game.

Frome were by far the better of the two teams and they at best looked average.

It was a surprise to me, as we have beaten much better footballing sides at home this season.

With the Home side struggling to find any rhythm , it would have taken a brave manager to bet against Frome going on to win the match.

We continued to play like strangers, on occasion turning attack into defence selecting the wrong options and it was only last ditch tackles from ever dependable Adam Davies and the hard-working Curtis McDonald that kept down the scoreline.

It was only when SuperGav ordered the magic Barry Thomas Bingo board to be held aloft, did it spur Merthyr's underperforming strike force to come alive.

A rare foray into the Robin's Nest ended with the leveller from Jack Compton.

If only Barry could have kept the subs board in the air for the rest of the game.

Sadly, the Home joy wasn't to last long, as Frome regained the upper hand when they scored from a corner, which was almost a carbon copy of the goal we conceded against Hitchin.

The remainder of the game passed without incident, with Merthyr huffing and puffing like they had just had a tracheotomy but not troubling away keeper Kyle Phillips with any shot of merit or real test.

The only time Merthyr had a chance was from the odd free kick awarded on the edge of the area, and usually as a result of one of our strikers, who appears to have enrolled recently on a course of 'Amateur Dramatics'.

The referee didn't help either, as he appeared to be numerically challenged being unable to count beyond the number seven, when it came to enforcing the distance of the Frome Wall.

For the first time in this hitherto very enjoyable season, we were found wanting against opposition not likely to make the end of season cut.

To exacerbate matters, all top four sides won handsomely to cement their positions.

Whilst there is 'Frome at the Top' and time to redress our season end, after today's poor showing there is definitely ' Frome for improvement' too.

But to end on a positive note, a big thank you to the Bennettorial Army for their choral tribute to the late Granville Morris - the one plus in what has been a week to forget.

Let's hope this match proves to be a timely wake-up call , as the season isn't over until my Sister stops warbling.

In the words of Clarkie's bet free Piehole-

'Heads up lads we go again on Saturday at Biggleswade'.

Boz

Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Re: Boom boom, shaken by Frome

Post  CF34martyr on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Boz1964 wrote:Boom boom, shaked by Frome

As Storm Doris continued to blow across Wales, our all-weather pitch did its level best to host a game of football against rapidly improving Frome Town.

But for most Merthyr fans, they decided to stay away from a 'Doris Day' preferring a
'pyjama game' in the house watching Wales  rugby union team being trounced by our Celtic cousins North of the Border.

In driving rain and blustery wind, the 340 or so fans present must have wondered why they bothered too, as both teams struggled to play decent football against the elements.

It reminded me of that Michael Jackson album - no....not Thriller....you know it it was Bad...REALLY bad.

With Frome Town being nicknamed the Robins, then perhaps the Outfit from Somerset were better suited to the Winter Wet, as they flitted along the greasy surface, staying low , proving hard to knock off their perch.

Whereas unbalanced Merthyr, looked more like a reliant robin taking a corner too quickly.

It has been patently obvious to most fans that there has been a 'black hole' in our central midfield all season, and that hole needs to be filled by a new man.

Preferably a Ryan Newman that is.

Someone who can plug the Leek.

A player at the top of the diamond that can drive at defenders and create 'space' or unleash a shot that will worry opposition keepers.

Failing that can we get an appointment with Faith Healer Eileen Drewery for Matthew Harris?

Today, in our most ineffective performance so far this season, we tamely surrendered our unbeaten home record to an unspectacular Frome team and dropped us down the table to our true position.

If we are completely honest, we have been riding our luck over the last few weeks, with our form dipping down dramatically since the loss of on-loan Josh Yorwerth.

It has not gone unnoticed that we have failed to beat any of our top five play off rivals at home or away, and in recent weeks, our strike force has had all the potency of the Jeremy Corbin Trident programme.

Today, our  Full back, Aldo the Apache, had an excuse for slipping and sliding about on the very wet 3G pitch, as he still had half of the scalp of the Hitchin 8 clogging up his studs, but as for the rest of the 'Inglorious Basterds' they moved less than the models at Madame Tussaud's.

This was illustrated by one throw-in on the left, when he was nearly tempted to throw the ball to himself.

Frome Town only recorded one shot on target in the first half and that came from their defender, the Fresh Prince of Ball-Air, Connor Roberts, whose long range daisy-cutter shot flew passed the unsighted Oliver Davies and into the right corner of the net for a deserved lead.

Normally, Merthyr are stung into action and a response but today there was more bounce-back-ability in a dead kangaroo.

It was as if the whole team had been sprayed with a VX Nerve Agent before the game.

Frome were by far the better of the two teams and they at best looked average.

It was a surprise to me, as we have beaten much better footballing sides at home this season.

With the Home side struggling to find any rhythm , it would have taken a brave manager to bet against Frome going on to win the match.

We continued to play like strangers,  on occasion turning attack into defence selecting the wrong options and it was only last ditch tackles from ever dependable Adam Davies and the hard-working Curtis McDonald that kept down the scoreline.

It was only when SuperGav ordered the magic Barry Thomas Bingo board to be held aloft, did it spur Merthyr's underperforming strike force to come alive.

A rare foray into the Robin's Nest ended with the leveller from Jack Compton.

If only Barry could have kept the subs board in the air for the rest of the game.

Sadly, the Home joy wasn't to last long, as Frome regained the upper hand when they scored from a corner, which was almost a carbon copy of the goal we conceded against Hitchin.

The remainder of the game passed without incident, with Merthyr huffing and puffing like they had just had a tracheotomy but not troubling away keeper Kyle Phillips with any shot of merit or real test.

The only time Merthyr had a chance was from the odd free kick awarded on the edge of the area, and usually as a result of one of our strikers, who appears to have enrolled recently on a course of 'Amateur Dramatics'.

The referee didn't help either, as he appeared to be numerically challenged being unable to count beyond the number seven, when it came to enforcing the distance of the Frome Wall.

For the first time in this hitherto very enjoyable season, we were found wanting against opposition not likely to make the end of season cut.

To exacerbate matters, all top four sides won handsomely to cement their positions.

Whilst there is 'Frome at the Top' and time to redress our season end, after today's poor showing there is definitely ' Frome for improvement' too.

But to end on a positive note, a big thank you to the Bennettorial Army for their choral tribute to the late Granville Morris - the one plus in what has been a week to forget.

Let's hope  this match proves to be a timely wake-up call , as the season isn't over until my Sister stops warbling.

In the words of Clarkie's bet free Piehole-

'Heads up lads we go again on Saturday at Biggleswade'.

Boz

Boz,

Firstly, condolences for the loss of Granville.
I've talked to him quite a few times at away games.Very knowledgeable when it came to the club, and a nice gentle bloke,with a special sense of humour.

As for your latest offering........spot on, in every observation.  We need to stop the fall off in form as from the next game. Finishing 6th would be a disaster after the  progress we've made.

Normally I read the stuff you post convinced you live on a planet somewhere where the atmosphere is 100% LSD enhanced Laughing

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Stop making sense

Post  Boz1964 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:34 am

Thank you CF34 for your kind comments regarding Granville.

The single word that keeps being repeated to me about him is 'Gentleman'.

This does sum him up well, as he was one of the last of his generation who was brought up with strong moral codes and the hard work ethic.

As far as my reports are concerned, I would apologise if this one made sense - as this was purely unintentional.

I am afraid you have accidentally rumbled my 'modus operandi" when it comes to my alternative match reports that contain much Bridgend 'Madness' from my 'House of Fun'

I didn't realise pressing down on the Album cover of the Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band would have such an effect on my scrawlings.

Come to think out it now it was written whilst watching Super Sunday on the satellite, so I did see that female presenter Lucy on the Sky with diamond formations.

However, just to redress the natural order I will use the Rolling Stones 'Paint it Black' Album next time so best to read my report backwards next time.

This way this Talking Head will 'stop making sense'.

Boz

flower
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

GRANVILLE MORRIS (Decreased)

Post  PeterHarman on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:49 am

Hope you don't mind Phil I took a quick shot of the MTFC in the line up for the minutes silence.

Peter

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:23 am

I have sat down taken my tablets,I actually agree with a BOZ report and to add to that he didn't mention captain marvel.The legendary Roy Rogers will like this report I should think,spot on with our league position.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top