Back to top Go down

Re: MERTHYR v Hitchin

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:06 pm

1up Compton 15mins
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:16 pm

1-1 in off the post 26mins. Scuffed shot as well.
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:37 pm

H/t 1-1
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:13 pm

1-2 to Hitchin, 61st min
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Sub: Prosser on and Traylor off 65mins
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Sub: Richards for Tanncock 67mins
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Barrow sent off for kicking someone in the head 73rd min
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Sub: Jenkins for Mclaggon 78mins.
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:33 pm

2-2! Jenkins 88mins. Get in!!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Full time 2-2. Prosser hit the post in the last minute!! A decent point in the end.
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Tonight’s team:

O.Davies;
A.Davies,Tancock,McDonald,Barrow;
Wright,Evans;
Traylor,Reffell,Compton;
McLaggon;

Subs:
Prosser for Traylor after about 61 minutes
Richards for Tancock after about 68 minutes
Jenkins for McLaggon after about 78 minutes
Patten
Copp

Changes made from Saturday’s starting lineup were Jack Compton in place of Ryan Prosser, with Jarrad Wright in midfield instead of Kyle Copp.

Hitchin had the first scoring opportunity when a low corner to the edge of the penalty area was met with a shot which had to be cleared off the line at the far post.

In the early stages we were losing possession rather too often when going forward, but after about 9 minutes Ian Traylor got to a ball ahead of the keeper close to the line on the left and turned it towards goal where it was cleared off the line.

Hitchin were looking sharp in defence, but we took the lead with a good goal when the ball was played across from the right to Jack Compton just inside the area. He fired in a shot which went off the keeper and inside the post.

We had our best spell of the game then but couldn’t work another opening and Hitchin came again, winning a couple of corners, the second of which after about 25 minutes saw them equalise. We failed to clear the ball and an attacker put the ball into the net off the near post from about 10 yards.

Hitchin then had the edge, but we managed a couple of efforts on goal – Kayne McLaggon putting a tame effort straight at the keeper, and Jarrad Wright with a more worthy effort which went a yard wide.

After the break Ian Traylor and Jack Compton switched wings, which meant the latter was coming inside onto his left foot all the time.

It was a scrappy start to the second half from both sides, not helped by the conditions with rain sweeping down the ground in a strong wind.

We continued to look out of sorts, but it was disappointing to concede a second goal from a corner, this time the ball landing in the goalmouth for a Hitchin player to put it straight into the net.

Straight after the goal, which came on about 60 minutes, we made a substitution which I’d been expecting to be Ryan Prosser for Jack Compton, but instead it was Ian Traylor, who’d not been at his best, who went off. That meant Kayne McLaggon playing on the left with Compton still on the right.

We made another substitution after about 68 minutes, this time Eliot Richards coming on to play in midfield with Jarrad Wright dropping back into defence and Scott Tancock the player going off.

Richards was looking lively, but at 2-1 down things got worse after about 72 minutes when Scott Barrow up in midfield was adjudged to have gone over the top in a tackle and was shown a red card.

With about 77 minutes gone Hitchin had an opening after Ashley Evans in a rare error lost possession after chasing back to the left back position. However, the ball across goal found no-one on the end of it. A minute after that we made another substitution, with Kayne McLaggon, another player who’d not been at his best, being replaced by Corey Jenkins. Jack Compton then did at last move back over to the left with Jenkins on the right.

Hitchin should then have been in a position to see the game out against ten men, but after 86 minutes, Curtis McDonald up in support on the left put over a cross from which it seemed Ryan Prosser must score with a header. But the goalkeeper somehow clawed it away, and with Prosser and Corey Jenkins both following up the latter turned the ball towards goal from about 10 yards and although it was cleared away the linesman indicated immediately that the ball had crossed the line.

In the remaining minutes the game could then have gone either way, as right on time Adam Davies put over a good cross from the right which Ryan Prosser headed just wide of the far post. At the other end Hitchin attacked down the right, and after Curtis McDonald gave the ball away it needed Jarrad Wright to get back to retrieve the situation at the expense of a corner. Then, 3 minutes into added time another cross from Adam Davies found Ryan Prosser again and this time his header came back off the post.

So we snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat and could even have won it at the end against a side who, apart from the first half spell after they scored, showed little going forward. Disappointing that both their goals should have come from corners, especially the manner of the second one. But in the end I think everyone went home a lot happier than looked like being the case 10 minutes earlier.

There were a few players who weren’t at their best tonight, and in the second half it was only after our late equaliser that we really caused Hitchin any trouble in defence. Eliot Richards injected a bit of urgency when he came on and I’d almost say he was our best player despite only being involved for 25 minutes or so. However, I’ll say Ashley Evans overall man of the match.  Jack Compton did well with his goal, and in the first half showed he has the ability to get the ball across from tight situations, but after he went out to the right he wasn’t really effective at all, and I was expecting at every substitution he would be the man to be taken off.

I must say Hitchin seemed to be a moaning lot, and I’ll reserve judgment on how seriously their no. 8 Callum Donnelly was injured by Scott Barrow’s tackle. I would just observe that in the early stages of the game the same player did a good impression of Joey Barton at one point but the referee wasn’t fooled on that occasion.

Well, we stay second thanks to Cameron Clarke and James Bloom tonight helping us out with Cinderford’s win over Slough.

A good attendance of over 500 on a rotten night for weather. Let’s hope for as many on Saturday – or is there dreary rugby on TV again?

Last edited by Merthyr Imp on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification.)
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:52 am

Well what a controversial game. Hitchin came to annoy, aggravate and intimidate I think everyone in Merthyr never mind the Merthyr team and the officials and surely if there had been award their number 8 would surely have collected the gong. Their tactics nearly worked with either Merthyr not at their best or the tactics doing the job. I think this was a good point gained rather than any lost due to the circumstances and Cinderford. There was a distinctive buzz around the ground last night think due to all the kids and the half term offer by the club. The top spot and play off places will go right down to the wire. RIP Granville Morris.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:24 am

I thought Barrow was sent off for taking a kick at the player right in front of the referee.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:45 am

rustic wrote:I thought Barrow was sent off for taking a kick at the player right in front of the referee.

Yes, others have said that. If so, I didn't see it from where I was - only Donnelly going down in a heap after Barrow's challenge, then Barrow going over to him and bending down, I assumed to ask how the poor fellow was, and then a lot of pushing and shoving followed by the referee quickly showing a red card.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

MERTHY TOWN vs Hitchin Town

Post  PeterHarman on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Just posted a few and I mean a few photos from last night, dreadful night for football and photography.

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum