MERTHYR v Stratford

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MERTHYR v Stratford

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:27 am

Team: Garner, Tancock, Barrow, Wright, Mcdonald, Baggridge, Prosser, Richards, McLaggon, Reffell, Traylor
Subs: Watkins, Oliver Davies, Williams, Jenkins, Jones
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Re: MERTHYR v Stratford

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:51 am

1-0 down HT
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:23 am

Sub: Williams replaces Baggerage 60mins.
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:24 am

1-1 Traylor
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:46 am

Sub: Jenkins replaces Traylor 85mins
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:56 am

F/t 1-1
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:34 am

Today’s team:

Garner;
Tancock,Baggridge,McDonald,Barrow;
Wright;
Traylor,Reffell,Richards,McLaggon;
Prosser:

Subs:
Williams for Baggridge after about 58 minutes
Jenkins for Traylor after about 86 minutes
Jones
Watkins
O.Davies

There were no changes from Tuesday night’s lineup. Dan Summerfield made his first start for Stratford since his hamstring injury suffered in Merthyr’s visit to them 5 weeks ago.

There was a scrappy start to the game, especially from us, but after about 7 minutes Kayne McLaggon on the left of the area tried to chip the ball over the keeper but he was able to touch it over the bar. About 4 minutes later there was a good move when Ryan Prosser nearly put Eliot Richards through but a defender just got to the ball first to take it away from him.

We were having a good spell, and about a minute later Richards sent a good ball to Keyon Reffell on the right of the area. He pulled it back to Ian Traylor at the near post but the keeper just managed to keep his shot out. However, with about 17 minutes gone Rhys Baggridge played a ball across the back which was meant for Curtis McDonald but went to a Stratford player. However, although clear, he put his shot almost straight at Glyn Garner.

Stratford then had a good spell, and with about 22 minutes gone we had to clear the ball off the line from a corner, and when it came out to an attacker on the right he sent in a cross-shot which was touched over the bar by Garner. About 4 minutes after that Stratford’s top scorer Richard Gregory smashed in a shot from at least 25 yards which we were glad to see go inches wide of the post.

Stratford then took the lead with about 33 minutes gone after we lost possession in midfield. They moved the ball forward to Edwin Ahenkorah who was able to pick his spot to put the ball past Garner.

We had a quick reply with an Ian Traylor corner on the left which was met by Curtis McDonald with a downward header which was straight at the keeper.

Just before the break Glyn Garner had to make a good save after Stratford had worked the ball in from the right.

Couldn’t really complain at the scoreline at half time, as we’d been drifting when they scored, and the goal summed up the rest of the half. We then showed little sign of being able to get through a competent defence.

Just before the hour mark Gavin Williams came on for Rhys Baggridge, Jarrad Wright dropping back into defence.

Stratford had showed little sign of adding to their lead after the break, and we managed an equaliser after about 63 minutes. Kayne McLaggon’s shot from the left of the area was deflected and fell for Ian Traylor near the penalty spot, where although he didn’t make the best of contacts with it did enough to get it past the keeper and over the line.

We pressed forward for the winner, with towards the end Keyon Reffell up in the front line and Eliot Richards anchoring the midfield, and almost had it when a Gavin Williams corner on the left was met by Ryan Prosser with a header which crashed against the bar.

Corey Jenkins came on for Ian Traylor after about 86 minutes, but I’m not sure he even touched the ball. We came close again when Keyon Reffell went on a great run into the area, but his shot was blocked at the near post.

However, we couldn’t force a goal, and the final whistle blew with Stratford about to keep the ball in the corner, clearly happy to settle for a draw, and although we could have won the game, overall it was a disappointing display. However, the unbeaten run continues!

I made Curtis McDonald our best player, not only for his work in defence, but also for frequent forays forward.

Attendance is given on the Southern League website as 215 – surely there was more than that?

Kings Langley lost in the FA Trophy today, so our home fixture with them on Saturday 10th December goes ahead.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:29 pm

Not a good performance from the team today disappointing, and a disappointing attendance 215 very poor. Sad
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Re MERTHYR v Stratford

Post  hirwaunman on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:53 pm

No way were there only about half the usual number of fans today! Must be a mistake.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:23 pm

I'm not 100% but as this was a rearranged game after an abandonment strictly speaking season tickets should not have been used today. We obtained dispensation for them to be used but by the look of it they could not have been counted in the attendance for today's game and only those who actually paid were counted. I think the phrase the league uses is that it's treated as a cup game.
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Old Sod wrote:I'm not 100%...
Never a truer word said!

Reminds me of the good old days of the Pughy Abacus!!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Old Sod wrote:I'm not 100% but as this was a rearranged game after an abandonment strictly speaking season tickets should not have been used today.  

I've never heard of that before. It certainly wasn't the case with my old club - but that was 20 years ago.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:40 am

Well I counted 150+ in the far stand. 50+ in the family stand. 25+ on the Theatre end plus all those seated so someone does not know how to add up? The thing I enjoyed today bye the way was the Pontmorlais steps being open,

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:56 am

Twyn Jasper wrote:Well I counted 150+ in the far stand. 50+ in the family stand. 25+ on the Theatre end plus all those seated so someone does not know how to add up? The thing I enjoyed today bye the way was the Pontmorlais steps being open,  

No doubt a lot of those were season ticket holders which as I explained could not be counted in the attendance figures. The serial numbers of the ticket stubs issued are counted to arrive at the figure quoted so the comment on the "adding up" is incorrect and quite frankly, insulting.
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:07 am

No insult from me Phil just a thankyou for explaining the facts.
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:16 am

Thank you Gordon.
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR TOWN vs Stratford Town

Post  PeterHarman on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:46 am

Just uploaded a few images onto club website.

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:26 am

Old Sod wrote:
Twyn Jasper wrote:Well I counted 150+ in the far stand. 50+ in the family stand. 25+ on the Theatre end plus all those seated so someone does not know how to add up? The thing I enjoyed today bye the way was the Pontmorlais steps being open,  

No doubt a lot of those were season ticket holders which as I explained could not be counted in the attendance figures.  The serial numbers of the ticket stubs issued are counted to arrive at the figure quoted so the comment on the "adding up" is incorrect and quite frankly, insulting.

No insult intended, I just thought from a health and safety point of view the total number of people through the turnstiles would have been the final total.

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:04 am

I was one of season ticket holders not in last two matches fortunately or unfortunately at to depend on forum for excellent updates unable to get Textes from my phone from my butty phone useless.being two thousand miles away and still have excellent up dates is a bonus

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:25 am

Twyn Jasper wrote:
Old Sod wrote:

No doubt a lot of those were season ticket holders which as I explained could not be counted in the attendance figures.  The serial numbers of the ticket stubs issued are counted to arrive at the figure quoted so the comment on the "adding up" is incorrect and quite frankly, insulting.

No insult intended, I just thought from a health and safety point of view the total number of people through the turnstiles would have been the final total.

Yes, but as I've tried to explain - obviously unsuccessfully in certain cases - that we could only declare as the attendance the number who paid via the turnstile. Some people do not enter the ground via the turnstiles - players, support staff, guests, sponsors, officials, visiting directors etc but we have lists of those. From an H&S point of view should there be an incident all areas of the ground would be checked for occupation.

Maybe we can make a register of all those attending in the future with their names, addresses and contact numbers for H&S reasons which I'm sure will make everyone feel more secure.
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Use a bit of Merthyr Common Census

Post  Boz1964 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:40 am

Don't worry Ancient Turf,

When Theresa May instigates new National Identity Cards to combat Health Tourism, we can use the same to enter Penydarren Park.

We could even use it as a method to be served alcohol at HalfTime in Webley's.

We could call it a 'Barcode'.

Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:09 am

Solihull Martyr wrote:
Old Sod wrote:I'm not 100%...
Never a truer word said!

Reminds me of the good old days of the Pughy Abacus!!
For the avoidance of doubt - I was trying to insult!!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:57 am

I think what it comes down to is there was a difference between the known attendance figure and the officially declared attendance figure, which is unfortunately the one that will appear in the record books.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:01 am

Twyn Jasper wrote: The thing I enjoyed today by the way was the Pontmorlais steps being open,  

I hope you had your torch. It wasn't quite too dark to go down them after the match yesterday, but it will be after the Kings Langley game a week on Saturday, and I think I'll be taking the better safe than sorry route.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:I think what it comes down to is there was a difference between the known attendance figure and the officially declared attendance figure, which is unfortunately the one that will appear in the record books.

It is unfortunate but as the initial game didn't exist all records of that are expunged. Of course for us to have declared actual number of punters that were there we could have to have charged season ticket holders which would probably have gone down like a lead balloon. You have the Club Secretary to thank that you didn't have to.
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top