Reffing Hell

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reffing Hell

Post  Boz1964 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Reffing Hell

Now we all have a bad day at the Office some time, but today, in the match between Merthyr Town and Biggleswade, the Man in the Middle played a blinder.

I can only assume that in the first half, his right arm must have had an old war wound , as he was unable to raise it in the direction Merthyr were playing.

At first, I wondered if he was some kind of animated comedy character....like the Simpsons on Sky ...although I couldn't decide which one though...Bart, Lisa, Maggie or Marge...but I had already worked out that he definitely wasn't a Homer.

He was named Rich Gardner - but certainly didn't look at home in OUR Park.

In a sad week for Merthyr, with the focus on the tragic events of the anniversary of the Aberfan disaster,  the silence tribute was impeccably observed by both sets of fans and players to the absolute credit of both Clubs.

Once the football had started for the opening ten or so minutes it was the Bedfordshire side that started the brighter.

With their massive High Tower number 9 up front , Biggles set their stall out early in anticipation of an aerial battle with the Welsh side.

Most of Merthyr's team are designed to fit down coal mines, and were therefore outgunned in the Sky , not only by the Biggles boys (who were taking orders from Air Traffic Control on the sidelines) but also from the cartoon character of the 'Constant Gardner' in the middle.

I had hardly had time to throw my collection of mini- Roses and Mars bars in the bin
( choc's away) than the 'scramble' started between Biggles and our 'Ginger' in midfield.

It was a contest that would last for 90 minutes with plenty of 'spice' in the centre of the park and end with a yellow card for our quality number 8 for his troubles.

Young Josh Yorwerth for a big man has a wonderful touch, which is normally direct to an attacking player's feet.

With this 'Red Arrow' formation of Yorwerth who was busy 'spitting fire', coupled with the tiger moth tackling of Captain Evans, the pair set about shooting down the opposition as the 'Battle of Britain' started once again.

In fairness, Bigglesworth tried to attack from the off and played to their strengths lumping the ball forward to their man mountain- effing long to Effiiong if you like.

He did however, do some great knock downs that even Harry Redknapp would have been proud of.

However, the huge number nine looked as if he had acquired something from the Kim Kardashian robbery in Paris- as if he was guilty of receiving 'swollen goods' - as he had a derrière that had an orbit of its own.

At the back, the centre half pairing of McDonald and Wright was starting to produce fruit with both defenders looking assured and beginning to harvest some clean sheets.

The away side came to play football and whilst it was mostly route one stuff - they tried hard to adjust to the 3G pitch, as 'Waders' understandably aren't normally best suited to places with good drainage.

Most teams avoid trying to take on Merthyr at their own pacy game and attempt to beat our 'minnows' by dive-bombing them from above the surface- The Waders being no exception to the rule with a mid- air head tennis battle the norm.

One of our more 'profitable' fans must have anticipated such a Biggles high ball contest, as he came dressed in a leather flight jacket.

As the game ebbed and flowed, Merthyr suddenly realised that if they kept the ball on the 'runaway' it might pay dividends.

In fact- the first and only goal of the game came from one of the few moves where the ball was kept on the floor and not lofted from the flight deck.

Under pressure from Wing Commander Keyon Refell near the left touch line, their number 7 tried hard to keep the game flowing and the ball alive but in doing so accidentally slotted the ball through to the newly 'risen' Prossiah , who used his Holy feet to ball juggle passed a defender and link up well with Vapour Traylor on the right wing and his deep cross eluded all bar the arriving stealth bomber Kayne McGlaggon, who picked his spot for what turned out to be the match winner.

With the half time score at 1-0 in what was a pretty even contest, the Home fans felt a little uneasy that Merthyr had not created much but we're pleased that they had clinically taken their only real opportunity of the game, after what was probably the best move of the match, if not the season so far.

The second half 'took off ' pretty much where it had ended, with Biggleswade sending many 'bouncing bombs' forward for their striker in the hope of a knock down or a goal from a set piece or corner.

On one such occasion, they were unlucky not to equalise - striking the bar with header from the huge number 6 - Big Les Wade.

Merthyr rode their luck a little, in what was a tough physical match , with the Prossiah limping off with injuries to his side, his head and nail holes in both his hands and feet, and our own 'target' man being replaced by a new player who has his own roots in the Welsh Valleys.

Rumour has it, that Eliott has managed to get move to Merthyr by sponsoring one of the Portakabins in the ground.

Merthyr have already faced many injury woes this season with Matthew ' the Merthyr Messi' Harris, Patton and Scott Barrow all on the treatment table at present, so let's hope the Holy Beard can both be resurrected and re-selected soon too.

Despite it being a cold late Autumn day, tempers were to boil over, as our Curtis McDonald took a high boot to the face and understandably reacted badly and a pushing contest developed.

Complaints to the referee that it was just a 'Nike' were unjustified, as he did emerge with more studs in his face than Joan Collins.

As he was booked for retaliation, the away supporters 'waded' in goading the ineffectual referee with 'Just Do It'.

The rest of the game was played out in the Merthyr half with nervous goalmouth scrambles, unlucky woodwork rebounds and Captain Marble and Co charging down every effort on goal to hang onto to Nike a Victory and the more important three points.

As for the away side, they can leave Merthyr with few 'egrets' - as the Waders did themselves proud both on and off the pitch.

On another day, they might have escaped with a draw or even a win.

Regrettably, the same cannot be said for the official, who seemed determined to add on more extra time than Alex Ferguson - as if he was intent on playing on till the clocks went back.

New loanee player Eliott Richards may have come from Weston but it was the referee who had the 'Super Mare' today - a real reffing Hell.

Man of the Match for me was Jarrad Wright, closely followed by the brilliant Josh Yorwerth and a fine display by our young replacement 3 AbergaBENNY Watkins.

Boz

Last edited by Boz1964 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Re: Reffing Hell

Post  GordonTheGopher on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:01 pm

AbergaBENNY Watkins. Love it, Boz. Laughing
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Men of Gwent

Post  Boz1964 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:08 am

Gord only knows when his near neighbours Ebu Vale , Bryn Mawr and Chris Howell ( think about it) will get a call up.....Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:59 am

Not forgetting Gil Wern.
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Reffing Hell

Post  PeterHarman on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:34 am

What about Tony Pandy

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffia on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:07 am

Or even Tony 'Reffell'..... I mean, he's got connections to the playing staff Smile
Taffia

Back to top Go down

'Pun' ty Pridd

Post  Boz1964 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:36 am

Some real bad ones there lads...but Taffia's has to be the worst yet......Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

What's in a Name

Post  hirwaunman on Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Nubs - what's with your 'G' in McLaggon? Kayne doesn't need geeing up.

And what's with your Egyptian connection - surely you must have originated in the Pun-jab?

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:15 pm

Kevin Coed?!!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:29 pm

hirwaunman wrote:Nubs - what's with your 'G' in McLaggon? Kayne doesn't need geeing up.

And what's with your Egyptian connection - surely you must have originated in the Pun-jab?

Boz is the one that puts a 'G' in McLaggon, not me.

As for the Egyptian connection, when I joined the Forum in 2013, I was known as 4 Mad Dogs, owing to the fact that I own 4 Mad Dogs! Boz said something about reincarnation, and I jokingly changed my user name to 4 Mad Anubis (Egyptians being big on reincarnation). It stuck and then I just decided to shorten it to Nubs, as that what everybody called me.
Goodness Gracious Me, an Indian? no. The only connection I have with India is that my Father was in the RAF during WWII on a Lancaster plane, and that has a 'Bomb bay'!
farao
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Even hieroglyphics

Post  Boz1964 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:05 am

Unfortunately, I have a form of word blindness when it comes to Kaynomites surname.

I am uncertain as to the name of Egyptian Goddess of dyslexia.

It may have been Sethsian Hampshire....Boz

Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:46 am

Barry Island is too obvious

Trev' Echan

Is Tony Rodyn acceptable?
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:28 am