YMCA STEPS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

YMCA STEPS

Post  Twyn Jasper on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:23 pm

I see the steps will be closed until 6th March 2017 for safety reasons, according to the Merthyr Express, what a load of rubbish, it will I think continue to effect footfall to the club or bars.

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Re: YMCA STEPS

Post  Merthyr Imp on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:27 pm

As per my notes in Tuesday night's programme - they've been closed for over 11 years now.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:45 am

As I have said over the last 11 years the original fear was that due to the state of the building it could collapse or bits of on to the YMCA steps, my point is and has always been that it could just as easily have collapsed on to the street in front of the building, and yet the street remained open? The original structural tie bolts were from the front of the building to the back to prevent it bulging in the front, and the likelihood was that it would if it were to happen the front of the building would fall first. The structure has now been stabilised, so the concerns have changed to the condition of the steps? All in all it is costing us money and ease of access to the ground and the facilities. I think in my conspiracy ridden mind that we will lose the steps as we did the Theatre end access. With the excuse being repair costs and no one has used it for years anyway.

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:11 am

There was a mention of the steps in the minutes of the club Board meeting on 4.7.16 hence my notes being cautiously optimistic.

But we'll see!
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:32 am

What a disappointment...

... Was hoping for a YouTube video of the Imp showing us hoe to dance to the Village People classic!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:51 am

The Y M C A build is being funded by Carmarthenshire Heritage regeneration trust, I have been in contact with
(C H R T ) on a number of occasios in the last eighteen months, they informed me the steps are not part of the
Regeneration build, the steps are solely M T C C problem, its seems the steps are not in the remit of the money being alicateded to the Pontmorlias regeneration project, the shops in this area have received huge grants to face lift the buildings, so why have M T C C decided to egnore these steps . June 4th 2008 the council put a temporary injunction on the steps for six months , (hell of a long six months .
I have emailed (C H R T ) today inquiring on the progress of the build , explaining there seems to be very little happening at the site. Also have contacted (M T C C )regarding the situation of both the steps and the lack of progress at the build.

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:03 am

Sounds positive, hope you have some good news for all your effort.

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:30 am

douggolfer wrote:June 4th 2008 the council put a temporary injunction on the steps for six months , (hell of a long six months .

The 'Temporary' Prohibition of Pedestrians Order is renewed every six months. As Twyn Jasper says, the notice was in this week's paper that it's just been done for a further six months.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:31 am

Solihull Martyr wrote:

... Was hoping for a YouTube video of the Imp showing us hoe to dance to the Village People classic!

A hoedown?
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top