Re: Merthyr v Abergavenny

Post  cliffyboy on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:20 pm

F.T 6-1 win

Maybe a report to follow ?

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:10 pm

I went up to the Abergavenny match last night,for the first time since our last home game.
Has all the proposed building work now ended?,as apart from the interior renovation within the main stand,and the installation of the 2 sets of turn styles,it looks pretty much as it did when the last ball was kicked in April.
Bearing in mind the new season starts in a month,the terracing areas like shabby as hell with weeds and  plant overgrowth in evidence aplenty,and what is happening about toilet facilities at the other side of the ground? Shocked

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:31 pm

You're not David Jones, are you?!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:17 pm

Apart from the repairs to the Theatre End terracing that were carried out during last season general work on renovation and tidying up of the terracing etc was not part of the building/development work that I believe is now completed.

But I agree, certain areas do look shabby. I'm not sure what is happening about it.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr on Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:53 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:Apart from the repairs to the Theatre End terracing that were carried out during last season general work on renovation and tidying up of the terracing etc was not part of the building/development work that I believe is now completed.

But I agree, certain areas do look shabby. I'm not sure what is happening about it.

I have to admit I'm not up to speed with the remit of the full schedule of works of the development,but to see all the priorities concentrated purely in and around the main stand structure,is very disappointing,which also unacceptably still has quite a few broken seats.
More to the point,if people at the club think it is still acceptable in the 21st century to have such poor sanitary conditions as " pissing against a breeze block wall",in open air,and without even a water flushing capacity,as a means of relieving ones self at one side of the ground,then i'm speechless. If that's the case ,either knock it down or build a proper toilet,as the status quo is disgraceful!  
Given the comments I heard several times last season,the Roman's and Webley's image will soon be tarnished when visiting fans face the harsh reality of the facilities of the opposite side of the ground.
For the record my name isn't David ,it's Alan.

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:52 pm

CF34martyr wrote:
I have to admit I'm not up to speed with the remit of the full schedule of works of the development,but to see all the priorities concentrated purely in and around the main stand structure,is very disappointing,which also unacceptably still has quite a few broken seats.

Well, basically the grant money was only given to the club at all on the proviso that it was to be used in a specified way - the main intention being to improve the facilities centring on the main stand structure so that they could be used by the whole community for all kinds of events and purposes not just for the benefit of people going to watch the Martyrs play.

It was never the case that the club were given a certain amount of money for spending however they liked.

Some of the grant money was able to be used for such purposes as the afore-mentioned repairs to the terracing (which of course had previously had to be closed off for a time), but some things such as the re-roofing of the popular side terracing had to be dropped from the original plan because when the development work got under way it showed up unexpected problems which ate into the budget.

I think there is in fact an area of new seating in the stand but I'm not at all sure (in fact I'm guessing) that it was paid for out of the development grant money.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:50 am

The Imp is correct in his explanation of the priorities around spending of the grant.

Originally it was intended that the grant would cover improvements to the spectator areas, but building costs were greater than originally estimated, with the result that the completion of the facilities in the new building had to be prioritised to meet the requirements of the grant funding body around provision of social facilities, creating employment and sustainability.

We will keep looking for ways of improving spectator facilities, with new seating in the grandstand being a priority.

Work is progressing on a tidy up for over the next couple of weeks. Some Board members will be at the ground this weekend working on weeding and cleaning outdoor toilets etc.

Admin
Admin

http://mtfcforum.team-talk.net

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:38 am

Maybe instead of complaining CF34martyr (Alan) you could pop up the park and volunteer with a bit of weeding or maybe a bit of painting.
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:39 am

GordonTheGopher wrote:Maybe instead of complaining CF34martyr (Alan) you could pop up the park and volunteer with a bit of weeding or maybe a bit of painting.

No problems at all Gordon.
Just let me know when when any painting day is organised and i'll be glad to help out.I might even bring an extra brush for you,as ironically i'm painting the outside of a building right now!

Incidentally, since when is it seen as unjustified complaining on this forum for pointing out that after a £1.8 million revamp,that there are still 18th century style sanitary facilities still being used in certain parts of the stadium.

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:36 am

To reiterate, the large amount of grant money could only be spent on what it was specified to be spent on, which didn't include toilets in other areas of the ground than the main stand. It did of course pay for some new toilets there though - to the right of the club shop - which are accessible from the outside without having to go into the building.

But I imagine it would cost a fair amount of money to build a new toilet facility on the other side of the ground and I doubt if the club itself could find the money for it at present.

When we compare the state of the ground in 2011 when we began playing there again to what it's like now I think we've done pretty well even if there are many things that still could be improved.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:27 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:To reiterate, the large amount of grant money could only be spent on what it was specified to be spent on, which didn't include toilets in other areas of the ground than the main stand. It did of course pay for some new toilets there though - to the right of the club shop - which are accessible from the outside without having to go into the building.

But I imagine it would cost a fair amount of money to build a new toilet facility on the other side of the ground and I doubt if the club itself could find the money for it at present.

When we compare the state of the ground in 2011 when we began playing there again to what it's like now I think we've done pretty well even if there are many things that still could be improved.

Imp /John,
Thanks for clarifying the situation.I wasn't aware that there were such area specific restrictions on the redevelopment budget.
I firmly agree with the comments on improvements since 2011,especially as I was there one long night when it almost went up in smoke!
It's just a pity that visitors will see we have excellent facilities one side of the ground,in comparison to the poor ones on the other.
The painting offer still stands by the way.

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:45 am

There used to be a section on the club website about the new development, including plans of the building etc, but I don't think it's there now.

There's been quite a lot of information contained in the minutes of various meetings sent to club owners over the last couple of years or so, also in the Newsletters that have been available.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:To reiterate, the large amount of grant money could only be spent on what it was specified to be spent on, which didn't include toilets in other areas of the ground than the main stand. It did of course pay for some new toilets there though - to the right of the club shop - which are accessible from the outside without having to go into the building.

Great offer Alan - I hope you'll turn up brush in hand tomorrow: don't be shy in waiting to be asked.

Personally I think a you had a perfectly valid call, albeit aware of the reason. Good of folk to respond.

That said, do you know David Jones by any chance? If not, you really should hook up - you'd get on like a house on fire!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Solihull Martyr wrote:

Great offer Alan - I hope you'll turn up brush in hand tomorrow: don't be shy in waiting to be asked.

Personally I think a you had a perfectly valid call, albeit aware of the reason.  Good of folk to respond.

That said, do you know David Jones by any chance?  If not, you really should hook up - you'd get on like a house on fire!

Nope Soli,
I can't say I know a specific David Jones,as I've known quite a few of the same name.
If there's any painting to be done,let me know and I'll be up tomorrow,with roller and brush in hand. I can't exactly just turn up on spec hoping there's someone there,so I'd  have to know in advance. But seeing as I can't go to Wimborne, a day at the park will do.

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:17 am

Question
Merthyr Imp wrote:Apart from the repairs to the Theatre End terracing that were carried out during last season general work on renovation and tidying up of the terracing etc was not part of the building/development work that I believe is now completed.

Building/Development work completed? so what is the official crowd capacity at the Park now?

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:29 am

Building/Development work completed? so what is the official crowd capacity at the Park now?

The capacity remains as it was before at 4000.

Admin
Admin

http://mtfcforum.team-talk.net

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy on Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:22 am

Cheers John, a good FA Cup run needed to get a 3,000+ gate would be fine

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content