View previous topic View next topic Go down

Management change

Post  Solihull Martyr on Fri May 27, 2016 2:46 pm

SJ leaving...
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Re: Management change

Post  Risca Martyr on Fri May 27, 2016 2:54 pm

Wouldn't be surprised to see him take over at Hereford in the next few weeks. I'm sure Gavin will be an ideal replacement and carry on the good work.
Risca Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Fri May 27, 2016 2:54 pm

http://www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk/news/steve-jenkins-to-leave-merthyr-town-fc/

I noticed Hereford's assistant manager had recently left them...

So Gavin Williams takes over - hopefully as player/manager.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy on Fri May 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Yes just had a text saying SJ has left and Gavin will be taking over

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher on Fri May 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Sad Sad Sad . But best of luck Gavin.
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

managment change

Post  stevie g on Fri May 27, 2016 3:02 pm

if he go's to Hereford like Green it only go's to prove money talks

stevie g

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Thomas on Sat May 28, 2016 3:42 am

Sad news, will be a hard act to follow, Concern must be how many of the better players will follow him to whatever club he goes to.

If players do leave it is doubtful Gavin will have the Budget to put together a side to compete effectively at this level so it could be a tough season for us, but I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Nevertheless, would like to Congratulate Gavin on his appointment & wish him & all the players old & new the very best for next season.

Onwards & upwards, one things for sure there's never a dull moment at MTFC.

Paul Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat May 28, 2016 5:25 am

Well, I suppose the budget would be the same whoever the manager, but the point probably is IF players do leave along with Steve Jenkins whether Gavin will be able to find replacements of a similar quality. But I expect he will have his own ideas on this.

With regard to players leaving or staying, what we won't know is whether there would have been the same movements in or out if Steve Jenkins had continued as manager.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer on Sat May 28, 2016 6:32 am

it would be nice if we were given a reason for S J departcher ?????? checked the M T website very little information

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann on Sat May 28, 2016 7:04 am

Are the club looking to appoint a new assistant manager or perhaps upgrading Ashley Thomas into that position.
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Sat May 28, 2016 7:12 am

No one is indispensable as proved with Green in the end we did ok without him.My only concern is that if he try playing and being a manager at the same time then it can be very difficult.He will need a deputy who need to be very good in that role .the players who are employed outside football who are local will find commuting back and fore to say Hereford very daunting

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Sat May 28, 2016 7:16 am

To answer Manos I do not think adding an assistant who is playing would not be the right thing to do.We need someone on the side to view the game as it is being played and able to give advice or instructions from that position

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann on Sat May 28, 2016 7:24 am

scamp wrote:To answer Manos I do not think adding an assistant who is playing would not be the right thing to do.We need someone on the side to view the game as it is being played and able to give advice or instructions from that position

That's what I was saying.
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat May 28, 2016 7:27 am

scamp wrote:We need someone on the side to view the game as it is being played and able to give advice or instructions from that position

That's my opinion as well, as we all hope that Gavin will be fit enough to play regularly next season.

When Garry Shephard was still playing he had Danny Carter on the sidelines.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat May 28, 2016 10:48 am

If they don't want to stay and be with the club,then it is better for them to leave.What is the point of keeping a manager and any player who want to go.Congratulations to Phil Llewellyn on his appointment as academy manager.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat May 28, 2016 10:49 am

If they don't want to stay and be with the club,then it is better for them to leave.What is the point of keeping a manager and any player who want to go.Congratulations to Phil Llewellyn on his appointment as academy manager.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat May 28, 2016 10:50 am

Oops sent twice.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Thomas on Sat May 28, 2016 10:51 am

The Club's statement confirming SJ departure is lacking in detail.  We are classed as Owners of the Club, therefore as Owners we should be entitled to a statement via E Mail giving the full reason for his resignation.

Paul Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  muscles76 on Sat May 28, 2016 1:21 pm

gutted but not to be honest .
i think gavin will bring a very attacking expansive selection im looking forward to next season. Laughing

muscles76

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy on Sat May 28, 2016 2:06 pm

KPT1950 wrote:The Club's statement confirming SJ departure is lacking in detail.  We are classed as Owners of the Club, therefore as Owners we should be entitled to a statement via E Mail giving the full reason for his resignation.

Most probably been offered more money to where he is going

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Re: Management Change

Post  hirwaunman on Sun May 29, 2016 1:30 am

SJ's departure will almost certainly have been because of an offer of more money, but perhaps also because of his management ambitions - Hereford have greater potential to progress up the pyramid than we do. They have more potential because they have more income, with a core fan base at least four or five times larger than ours (2000/2500 compared with 500). They could get back into the Football League, as Newport, Luton and now Grimsby have done, whereas we just might get as far as the National League Premier but struggle to stay there. Even so, it may not be that easy for Hereford because, as we have found, succeeding at a lower level can bring in more fans than struggling at a higher level.

We, the fans/owners, wouldn't want to sell the club to a big investor, in the unlikely event of one coming along, so we have to settle for whatever level our income dictates, with the help of shrewd management on and off the pitch. The only thing that might transform our fortunes is a spectacular cup run, with a surge of income and the modest but permanent increase in the fan base that might ensue, but that's something we can't rely on. What matters is that we are building a soundly-run community based club with excellent facilities which will look after its people, foster a good atmosphere and attract loyal support from management, players and fans, enabling us to enjoy our football at whatever level it is played.

It would be churlish not to wish SJ well after what he has done for us - though it has been a two-way street because, by taking him on, we have helped him by enabling him to show what he can do. Gavin is the obvious choice to succeed SJ, though I, too, wonder whether, having been out for a season at this stage of his career, he might do better to hang up his boots and concentrate purely on management. Either way, we shrug off the demoralisation and negativity that unplanned change can bring, and move on with optimism and determination. I'm looking forward to being one of the first to renew my season ticket.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher on Sun May 29, 2016 2:45 am

Great post
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper on Sun May 29, 2016 3:11 am

I think it was time for a change of management, no disrespect intended, SJ did what he could under the sensible financial constraints of the club and I would say a fresh approach is now needed to take us on, best of luck to SJ for the future, it will now be interesting to see what fresh idea’s Gavin will have, he certainly has plenty of skills and experience to pass on.

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 on Sun May 29, 2016 3:26 am

I agree with Gordon it is a great post Hirwaunman....pretty much says it all....Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Thomas on Sun May 29, 2016 3:57 am

Boz1964 wrote:I agree with Gordon it is a great post Hirwaunman....pretty much says it all....Boz

Yep, have to agree 100%, great post Hirwaunman.

Time now to move on & get 100% behind Gavin & the Players, Should be an interesting season ahead but one I'm really looking forward to.

Paul Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top