Southern League Championship Cup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Southern League Championship Cup

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:45 am

We pass it on to neighbours Cinderford Town who beat Kings Langley 2-0 today.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Re: Southern League Championship Cup

Post  Old Sod on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:38 pm

Saw the game and it wasn't very good on what can only be described as a firm surface.

The first half was purgatory with neither side creating anything of note and most of the second half passed in a similar fashion. The last 10 minutes or so were the best of the game after both sides made substitutions due to injuries, one of which was caused by an excellent block on the line by a Cinderford defender. KL could easily have had a penalty when one of their players seemed to be brought down in the box.

I was thinking, thank God there'll be no extra time if the score was level and it would go straight to penalties when the game belatedly burst into life. Cinderford substitute Hicks made a great break down the left as the KL defence parted like the Red Sea and he broke into the area and from a difficult angle he sent a good left footed shot across the keeper, who was a very tall lad, and he couldn't get down to it quickly enough and it seemed to go under his outstretched hand and into the far corner of the net.

Very quickly afterwards, with KL trying to get back into the game Cinderford broke quickly and right back, Thomas, who thanks to the substitutions made was playing in midfield and he was brought down in the KL area, when the flailing foot of a defender brought him down as he tried to cut back inside. Moore beat the keeper easily sending him the wrong way. Stoppage time seemed to go on for ever with KL desperately trying to get something and they forced a few corners and from one of which the KL keeper who was up for it almost deflected a cross into the Cinderford net but it went just over. I think that happened after the 2nd goal but I was sans Dickyphone and it could easily have happened in between the goals.

Cinderford just about deserved it and both clubs will need to strengthen their sides for life in the Premier Division. Steve Jenkins was also an interested (I think that's the correct word for such a poor game) spectator running the rule over some of our opposition next season and I don't think he'll be too worried about either side. I hope that comment doesn't come back to bite me on the bum next season. The best player on the pitch today, by a country mile, was the Cinderford right back Keiron Thomas and he's one player who will have no difficulty in making the transition to the higher level of football.

Well done Cinderford on an excellent season. It couldn't happen to nicer people.

Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:42 pm

Oh dear what a poor poor game, Cinderford were dire and Kings Langley not much better, may have just seen the bottom two sides in the league next year unless they both sign a lot of new players.
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top