Re: MERTHYR (League Cup Champions!) v St Neots

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:42 am

Sub: Traylor for Jenkins 37mins
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:20 am

H/t 1-1

Last edited by Solihull Martyr on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:21 am

Subs on the hour: Bowen and Hugh for Prosser and Bloom
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:58 am

F/t 1-1
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:27 am

The only good thing about todays game was the newly installed tannoy system.

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:15 am

scamp wrote:The only good thing about todays game was the newly installed tannoy system.
Hear hear. Very Happy
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:41 am

scamp wrote:The only good thing about todays game was the newly installed tannoy system.

Aye.it works well,which is more than can be said for the tannoy operator who claimed we were playing St Ives on no less than 4 occasions! Shocked
No wonder we didn't win we were  up against 2 teams from Cambridgeshire.

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:02 pm

Today's team:

Garner;
Tancock,Wright,Baggridge,Bloom;
Evans;
McLaggon,Reffell,Brown,Jenkins;
Prosser;

Subs:
Traylor for Jenkins (injured) after about 35 minutes
Bowen for Prosser after about 55 minutes
Hugh for Bloom at the same time
Chappelle
Clarke

With Gethin Jones and Adam Davies unfit Jarrad Wright and James Bloom continued in defence as Ryan Prosser started, playing in the lone striker formation supported by two wide players, and with Keyon Reffell and Jon Brown in midfield. Glyn Garner returned in goal for Cameron Clarke.

As scamp says, the new PA system was certainly very effective, and it was great to be able to hear everything clearly in the David Miles stand.

There was a scrappy start from both sides, but we came close to scoring after about 9 minutes after Corey Jenkins was fouled on the left. Following the free kick into the area a fierce shot by Ashley Evans was blocked by the keeper on the line.  A couple of minutes later Corey Jenkins went on a run from at least on the halfway line which disappointingly ended when under pressure he ran the ball out of play on the byline.

But we were well worth the lead which came after about 13 minutes. Kayne McLaggon intercepted a cross-field pass, ran forward into space and beat a defender on the edge of the area to strike a cross-shot past the keeper.

We had another good chance after about 16 minutes when Ryan Prosser and Keyon Reffell combined down the right for the latter to have a shot blocked by the keeper, with the rebound just taken away from Prosser by a defender as he was about to shoot. That was probably the turning point of the match, as against the run of play at that time St Neots got an equaliser. A cross came in from the left towards the far post, and James Bloom  in trying to head the ball down to Glyn Garner sent it past him and into the net.

After about 35 minutes Corey Jenkins went off injured to be replaced by Ian Traylor.

We'd been the better side for the first half hour or so, and although the own goal didn't seem to immediately knock us back St Neots came more into the game later in the half and it became a more even game.

About 5 minutes after the break St Neots had a chance after we seemed to switch off completely in defence, allowing a player to get to the ball on the left and square it across the area for a shot to be hit just past the near post. But that was to be the nearest they came to a goal in the second half, and I don't think they managed a single effort on target.

With Ryan Prosser looking out of sorts, especially after the break, it was no real surprise to see him substituted, with Jaye Bowen coming on after about 55 minutes to play on the left, with Kayne McLaggon moving into the middle and Ian Traylor to the right. At the same time Chris Hugh replaced James Bloom.

We had a good chance after about 63 minutes when Rhys Baggridge sent a ball forward which put Ian Traylor away. But instead of getting in a shot he instead put the ball across the area to nobody. However, Jaye Bowen retrieved the ball and gave it to Chris Hugh on the left and his cross into the goalmouth was just too far ahead of Kayne McLaggon.

We were close again after about 71 minutes when Keyon Reffell picked up the ball and ran at the defence to get in a left-foot shot which the keeper just got down to and pushed past the post.

After that we could never quite manage to create anything worthwhile, except on about 85 minutes when we attacked down the left and Jaye Bowen laid the ball back to Keyon Reffell for him to get in a low shot which was hacked away by a defender.

Well, disappointing really to only get a draw from a match we ought really to have won. St Neots looked there for the taking in the first half, and while the own goal equaliser did seem to knock the stuffing out of us for a time we had enough of the play in the second half to have got a win, with us looking the more likely side to do so as the game went on.

Man of the match for me was Rhys Baggridge, who looked solid in defence, although Ashley Evans did well. Our best attacker was Kayne McLaggon, although there were  a couple of times in the second half when I wished he'd trust his left foot to try a shot at goal. Ryan Prosser looked out of sorts again, and Ian Traylor was also a little disappointing at times, including the time he could have got in a shot but didn't, and at others not being able to get his shots on target. We missed Adam Davies, but I read the substitution of James Bloom as being to bring on a more attacking left back in Chris Hugh to try and get the win.

There was some of the best visiting support this season from St Neots (why can't we have a drum?) which contributed to the highest attendance of the season of 551 - somewhat unusual for an end of season match with nothing at stake!  The truth of course must be that, while the display of the Red Insure Cup would have been something of an attraction, a lot of people must have come to sample the new facilities at the ground.

Last edited by Merthyr Imp on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:17 pm

well a point is a point.

I know you lot are Martyrs fans and that's all that matters, but I have been looking out for Colwyn Bay's results the last few months, they play at the same level as Martyrs on in the north division, they will be relegated in a couple of weeks. Which I don't like to see. Any welsh team playing in the English set up has my full support.

And now you Martyrs, promoted back to where you belong. Back where you were playing last.
And in your first season you won the league cup.

Keep it up chaps, keep it up, top half finish this season please.

I will have to get back up to see a few games soon  now.

have a good weekend all, enjoy the rest of the season and lets all enjoy Wales in France.

Perferct time to be proud, and proud and proud.

ps , jacks had a good win today, hence my sentimental post, hiccup hiccup!!!!
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:05 am

Saw Peter Harman being booked by the referee yesterday before kick off, was that for dissent.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:54 am

Bit early I know, however a decent season in my eyes. Always thought it was one of consolidation which despite a bit of a rocky patch a couple of months ago, has been successfully achieved. The excellent start may have had some dreaming of back-to-back promotions, which was always a big ask. Those points were helpful in always keeping us clear of the drop zone. And a cup to boot - well done to the club secretary for insisting we participators!
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR TOWN vs St Neots Town

Post  PeterHarman on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:22 am

Just uploaded some images from yesterday's game and Red Insure Cup celebrations. No the Ref didn't book me, just giving me his email address so I could send him some photos of the presentations.

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:33 am

Glad to see you got the Chairman's better side in the photos of him greeting the players!
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:56 am

Once again Peter , some excellent shots in that collection.

I think you should send the shots of Jamie Mack washing his hair to L'Oreal...they are worth it...he may get a TV advert deal from it.

Kayne McGlaggon proving he has the X- Factor is a classic too.

Also loved the photobombing Ownes in his baseball cap and the background 'Cerberus shot ' of Gordon and I proving two heads are better than one.

Great work ( and an assist too).

Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR TOWN vs St Neots Town

Post  PeterHarman on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:58 am

Thank you Phil compliments always accepted, we try to please but don't always get it right.

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:08 pm

PeterHarman wrote:Thank you Phil compliments always accepted, we try to please but don't always get it right.

You usually do though, mate.
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top