merthyr star has the chop

View previous topic View next topic Go down

merthyr star has the chop

Post  scamp on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:42 pm

The big news in Wales on line for the last couple of days is that our mascot shaggy the sheep has been made redundant because the club now feels that the name is not appropriate.I thought poor old shaggy was kidnapped a good while back and has not been seen since. A new name is to be given to a new mascot and a panel of distinguished people will participate in the selecting of a new name

scamp

Back to top Go down

Re: merthyr star has the chop

Post  Boz1964 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:08 am

With exception of the Gerald Ratner blunder , any publicity for the club is a good thing....I think a new thread on this forum should come up with a few suggestions...Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:14 am

RIP Shaggy. Gone to that great slaughterhouse in the sky. 
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:15 am

As shaggy was a life long supporter and done a lot of good things for the club perhaps we should have a one minute silence at our next home game Sad Sad

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:01 am

Is this political correctness gone mad. My son was the proud winner many years ago and still gets the usual related jokes from his English colleagues in the big smoke where he now works. He is still a proud Martyr and always will be. If I knew how to set up one of those online petitions I would, replies to this outrage please, can he still enter the new competition, he is 26 now?. Sad

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:02 am

scamp wrote:As shaggy was a life long supporter and done a lot of good things for the club perhaps we should have a one minute silence at our next home game Sad Sad
I'm presuming that would be Silence of the Lambs? Wink
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:11 am

No doubt something about this will be appearing on the club website in due course, but the competition is not just to come up with a new name for a mascot but a new design to go with it as well.

The competition is only open to those aged under 18, and the winner will be chosen by a panel of judges as scamp says.

I think Shaggy only held the distinguished post of club mascot for about five or six years, and hasn't been seen at a match since about ten years ago, so I wouldn't exactly call him a regular supporter. But while I wouldn't personally have any objections to seeing him revived, I think this competition to come up with a new mascot is a very good way to involve younger supporters with the club, especially as schools are to be involved.

I can also reveal that (unless there are any late changes to the rules) there is a very good incentive offered for making entries to the competition.
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:22 pm

I have one more thing to say FLOCK OFF.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:33 pm

[quote="Nubs"]RIP Shaggy. Gone to that great slaughterhouse in the sky. [/quote

St Merryns in Pengarnddu?

Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:53 am

Hope it will be better than the new club badge,that looks more like wella hair advert.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:15 am

With the sad demise of Shaggy the Sheep on the grounds of political correctness -these are my own suggested mascot replacements:

1) Gerbakinyabox - a Celtic Warrior known to be a big fan on the positioning of away managers.
2) Humpin' ( The Wales) - an Orca dressed in traditional Merthyr Black n White stationed near the wet part of the pitch around the 'Roman Well'.
3) Evo- a Premier Glue Stick used to mask any tears in the pitch membrane.
4) Gee Gee Gee - A Welsh Pit Pony - small enough to fit down mines or subterranean pitch repairs -.known as 3G to his friends.
5) Reddy Money- a special edition Italian Euro Banknote mascot to reflect a combination of the greatest Chairman ( sorry Meurig) and Comedian ( Sorry Ownes) to reshape Penydarren Park.
6) Hagar - the Viking Sheep or Sheeps Hagar to his ovine friends.
7) Gobbon- a Belgian mini-linesman of Flemish descent- to encourage people with false teeth to vent their anger appropriately.
Cool Granville.

Any other suggestions?

Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:02 am

We are probably a bit limited for specifically Welsh-blooded mascots. Sheep being banned (technically it's a wrongful dismissal, not a redundancy as Shaggy is being replaced), that leaves us with the dragon, a few regimental goats, a puffin (probably too West Wales, that one), and, I suppose a Welsh border Collie - which at least usually comes in a black and white strip.

A farm where I worked for a bit had one called Peter that used to make it's own way up to the pub most evening for a pint or two (I think it was given the slops). So, my suggestions are:-

a) A black and white beer drinking border collie which I'd call after one of my favourite players. Lossy might be appropriate as it drinks a lot. Logger the Dogger would probably get banned the same way as Shaggy, I guess. or
b) Some sort of dragon thing. Call that one Draco or Malfoy and give it a black and white wand to wave at opponents or something.

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:17 pm

A number of us have Oirish somewhere in our history (Q: What do you call an Irishman that can swim? A: A Welshman!). Given we've already got the green shoes, I vote for Old S*s being a Welsh Leprechaun. He's even kindly got the right height as well. And talking of kindly, has a kindly face with a glint in his eye. #Perfec!

On the other hand, if he's feeling a bit annoyed at the idea, he could probably make a vicious hobgoblin!

And before anyone gets the hump - chill out.

With sensible head on - how about a female Mascot? After all Saint Tudfal was a woman.

Nid cadarn ond brodyrdde
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:52 am

No hump from me mate - I'm not Quasimodo. A dragon probably would be the best.
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 am

A female mascot would be the best option, it would tick all the correct PC boxes.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  hirwaunman on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:53 am

A red, white and green female version of the Partick Thistle mascot would be great - I'm sure the Jags wouldn't mind!

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:26 am

What about a female athlete in the guise of Martyr Tydfil but remodelled as the legendary huntress Atalanta - in honour of our association with Bergamo......might be a winner on the publicity wheel....Boz
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top